Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Literacy rates in the 26 counties.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Literacy rates in the 26 counties.

A survey done by in 1997 showed that 25 per cent of population had problems with basic literacy meaning that they had difficulty reading instructions on packages, time tables, etc and that a further 30 per cent of the population had literacy problems which involved reading newspapers, books, etc. Doubtless the situation is getting worse.Adult literacy classes mainly run by volunteers are common through out the country which paints a very different picture of our education than that painted by Lazarus. The problem is especially acute among women....Who are generally ignored by teachers as they tend to be quieter than boys. Ireland has the highest rate of people attending fee paying schools in the EU because you if have the money not to send your kids to one shows a lack of love for them.

Yet our state claims that we have 99 per cent literacy and a grand education system....Why do we deceive ourselves so much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStars View Post
    A survey done by in 1997 showed that 25 per cent of population had problems with basic literacy meaning that they had difficulty reading instructions on packages, time tables, etc and that a further 30 per cent of the population had literacy problems which involved reading newspapers, books, etc. Doubtless the situation is getting worse.Adult literacy classes mainly run by volunteers are common through out the country which paints a very different picture of our education than that painted by Lazarus. The problem is especially acute among women....Who are generally ignored by teachers as they tend to be quieter than boys. Ireland has the highest rate of people attending fee paying schools in the EU because you if have the money not to send your kids to one shows a lack of love for them.

Yet our state claims that we have 99 per cent literacy and a grand education system....Why do we deceive ourselves so much?
    What picture did Laz paint, and I'd have thought the problem would be greater among men given that males are less likely to stay in education and are often more likely to mess.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    What picture did Laz paint, and I'd have thought the problem would be greater among men given that males are less likely to stay in education and are often more likely to mess.
    That the Irish read more than everyone and sure isnt our education system....And no it seems to be primarily among females and this would also seem to flow of a deliberate policy to neglect or sabotage the education of girls from lower socio-economic groups knowing that if you have broken the women the men are yours.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm guessing the problem is not literacy or even numeracy because you certainly can spell & count (all the way to 26).
    Your problem might be geography. It's called the Republic of Ireland (or Eire if you prefer).
    Alexander Suvorov: "The bullet is a fool, the bayonet is a fine chap."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by absconded View Post
    I'm guessing the problem is not literacy or even numeracy because you certainly can spell & count (all the way to 26).
    Your problem might be geography. It's called the Republic of Ireland (or Eire if you prefer).
    The Vicheyesque regime in the 26 counties not under military occupation by the UK state was founded on the suppression of the Republic of Ireland declared in 1916 and ratified by the First Dail, therefore to refer to it such is the urinate on the graves of so many brave women and men. This I will not do.

Next....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Vicheyesque regime in the 26 counties not under military occupation by the UK state was founded on the suppression of the Republic of Ireland declared in 1916 and ratified by the First Dail, therefore to refer to it such is the urinate on the graves of so many brave women and men. This I will not do.

Next....

Yes, I think you could probably do with History classes too
    Alexander Suvorov: "The bullet is a fool, the bayonet is a fine chap."

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Next....
    It's like an Eminem rap battle gone wrong. Log off and chill out - you are way too hyped.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a serious issue....And I notice its just been trolled...(accept maybe for Red_93's comment).

People in Ireland waffle on about the value of education....But honestly on this board only Cato and Scipio who dont necessarily agree with a lot of time show real signs of having been educated.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a serious issue....And I notice its just been trolled...(accept maybe for Red_93's comment).

People in Ireland waffle on about the value of education....But honestly on this board only Cato and Scipio who dont necessarily agree with a lot of time show real signs of having been educated.
    You in their fan clubs then? I loathe sycophants, especially on p.ie. Are you either Cato or Scipio by another name or indeed both?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast