Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: A chance to start again, thinking anew.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A chance to start again, thinking anew.

Read article in Times today where the writer suggests, and I synopsise; "history tells us that society has times of growth and decline. At times of growth we become lazy and complacent. But things fall, we are left with nothing except the freedom to pick ourselves up and start again. The confident society of the last decade is on a back foot and, although we produced some fine constructions and artwork, things became a bit soulless.....it is not uncommon to hear of yet another man being kicked to death on our beautiful glass streamed streets.....there is a case to be made for the teachings of the carpenter of Nazareth which have survived, despite the best efforts of his followers, for 2000 years....where are the words of hope, encouragement, healing, mercy and tolerance in the national debate today?"

Since we are soon going to have a new government, and given that the outgoing government's focus has been predominantly on the 'capital economy', what form should the new and necessary emphasis be, on the 'social economy' which must emerge given the above thoughts expressed in todays Irish Times by F Mac E?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not reading the entire article I don't want to be too critical but if the call is for some form of theocratic political initiative I would run a mile. We need not look to Nazareth two thousand years ago for our saviour. Look in the mirror.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    Read article in Times today where the writer suggests, and I synopsise; "history tells us that society has times of growth and decline. At times of growth we become lazy and complacent. But things fall, we are left with nothing except the freedom to pick ourselves up and start again. The confident society of the last decade is on a back foot and, although we produced some fine constructions and artwork, things became a bit soulless.....it is not uncommon to hear of yet another man being kicked to death on our beautiful glass streamed streets.....there is a case to be made for the teachings of the carpenter of Nazareth which have survived, despite the best efforts of his followers, for 2000 years....where are the words of hope, encouragement, healing, mercy and tolerance in the national debate today?"

Since we are soon going to have a new government, and given that the outgoing government's focus has been predominantly on the 'capital economy', what form should the new and necessary emphasis be, on the 'social economy' which must emerge given the above thoughts expressed in todays Irish Times by F Mac E?
    The hope and mercy that the Catholic Church hierarchy showed to child abuse victims? You can keep it, Mr Irish Times Author, and I'll keep my vastly improved living standards.