Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is our political 'culture' dying ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is our political 'culture' dying ?

What say ye ?

My opinion is 'yes' .
    It feels strange , even to type this but I miss the old days ,when it was FF vs FG/Lab . Domestic politics . God bless'em .

Seriously though . I am aware that times are changing and we need to be 'radical' .However is anyone else here 'astounded' by the 180 degree turns taken by the 'opposition' in a matter of days ?

I appreciate we have to be 'pragmatic'

but are we being 'pragmatic to the point of 'recklessness' ?

ie , the point where we will swallow just about anything .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our political culture is rotten to the core - we should hope that it is dying.

I don't think so though. Political change will only happen through a mass movement and universal public desire for change, and the Irish are too apathetic to drive the change.

Far too many of the electorate are not engaged in politics at all - preferring to spend their free time with the Guinness and X-factor ************************************************. As long as we prefer titillation to debate, as long as people don't care enough to become informed we are condemned to endure the conveyor-belt of incompetence/greed/arrogance, that passes for the Irish political system.
    The best way to see Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am all for 'Change' I am just baffled by the speed of it all . Youd almost think it was all planned a long time ago .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBird View Post
    I am all for 'Change' I am just baffled by the speed of it all . Youd almost think it was all planned a long time ago .
    What 'change' are you talking about?
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

George Will

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Doyle View Post
    What 'change' are you talking about?
    The 'change' from having 'an opposition' to not having one . In less than a week!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Carlsberg dont do coups but if they did...

Their personnel may be fairly poor, but I'd like to see Fine Gael get a proper crack of the whip with their 'out there' policies, plus would be nice to see them having a go at ridding us of 26 TDs, ministerial cars and the Seanad.
    The IDA would be marketing Ireland as the innovation island -- "like Einstein explaining his theory of evolution." - Our number two in command, Mary Coughlan

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Browne's tie View Post
    Their personnel may be fairly poor, but I'd like to see Fine Gael get a proper crack of the whip with their 'out there' policies,
    Now that you mention it , perhaps an FF dictatorship isnt so bad

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBird View Post
    Now that you mention it , perhaps an FF dictatorship isnt so bad
    I'm not totally against a consensus, I want the budget deficit to be reduced,

and it's obvious none of our wimp politicians will be able shave so much as a shilling off the welfare budget without a 'protect each other's backs' consensus.

And sadly with around €5 billion in cuts alone (not including taxes) being touted, pensions and dole are going to have to be snipped a little, unless they scrap the CPA.

So for now I'd nearly be happier to let them work it out together, as opposed to the alternative of FF over compensating by slashing the capital program whilst Enda whines on about some Sligo man on a trolley or Eamon Gilmore waffling BS about taxing the end of the rainbow.
    The IDA would be marketing Ireland as the innovation island -- "like Einstein explaining his theory of evolution." - Our number two in command, Mary Coughlan

john moriarty

Where do I send flowers?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast