Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Zappone/Gilligan Supreme Court Appeal Date Set

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Thumbs up Zappone/Gilligan Supreme Court Appeal Date Set

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Times
    A five judge Supreme Court will next February hear an appeal by a lesbian couple against a High Court ruling that they do not have the right to marry here under the Constitution.

[...]

The Chief Justice said the appeal should be ready to proceed on a date in February and it would be allocated two days.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking35.html

Finally this case comes before the Supreme Court. I wish them the best of luck. The supreme will rule on the definition of marriage in the constitution and whether it is unlawful for the state to withold the civil institution from homosexual couples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    Date set for lesbian marriage case - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 21, 2010

Finally this case comes before the Supreme Court. I wish them the best of luck. The supreme will rule on the definition of marriage in the constitution and whether it is unlawful for the state to withold the civil institution from homosexual couples.
    Thats why we elect representatives to make laws not judges. Gay marriage is not legal under Irish law. For the left to try and legislate through the courts will only be a travesty of justice. If homosexuals are serious about gay marriage then they should lobby the Labour party which will more than likely be in government after the next election. Thats democracy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Who do you think should interpret what's legal under Irish Law? You seem to be missing the point of the action.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Date set for lesbian marriage case - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 21, 2010

Wishing them well.
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Who do you think should interpret what's legal under Irish Law? You seem to be missing the point of the action.
    The point of the action is that some liberal activist judge to create law. America appears to be the example to follow for the left

A judge should interpet the constitution and laws and not make law. However judges appear to be a law unto themselves and are quite happy to massage their egos and sence self improtance and redefine an interpetation of a law and thus create law. However compared to the High Court the Supreme Court appears more sensible so I doubt this case will suceed.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    Thats why we elect representatives to make laws not judges. Gay marriage is not legal under Irish law. For the left to try and legislate through the courts will only be a travesty of justice. If homosexuals are serious about gay marriage then they should lobby the Labour party which will more than likely be in government after the next election. Thats democracy.
    The courts interpret the law, not the legislature. That is also democracy.

No-one is trying to legislate through the courts. They, I imagine, are seeking clarification on what the law says, as per Bunreacht.

That position (emboldened) is about to be tested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The courts interpret the law, not the legislature. That is also democracy.

No-one is trying to legislate through the courts. They, I imagine, are seeking clarification on what the law says, as per Bunreacht.

That position (emboldened) is about to be tested.
    Look. The left/liberals want gay marriage. Why not lobby politicans to put a bill trough the Daíl, where the elected representatives of the Irish people can vote on it. Same for abortion, euthanasia or legalisation of drugs. Labour claims to the a 'progressive' party. Why do no Labour party members put private members bills trough the Daíl.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Look. The left/liberals want gay marriage. Why not lobby politicans to put a bill trough the Daíl, where the elected representatives of the Irish people can vote on it. Same for abortion, euthanasia or legalisation of drugs. Labour claims to the a 'progressive' party. Why do no Labour party members put private members bills trough the Daíl.
    They have. The Civil Unions proposal by Brendan Howlin was defeated by Fianna Fáil and the Green Party who voted it down because of their Civil Partnership legislation.

Even were such a bill to pass and become functioning law that still wouldn't/couldn't prevent someone from taking a case to the Supreme Court to test it's constitutionality.

Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But why would they do that if gay marriage was already legal under Bunreacht? Which is what they're trying to find out.
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look. The left/liberals want gay marriage. Daíl.
    It way to easy to dismiss this important matter as a mere lefty / liberal

thing- I am no lefty but I really hope these 2 ladies succeed with the case.

For far too long we have as a Nation treated gay people as somewhat less

than equal.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast