Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ICTU economist: Lenihan an 'economic war criminal'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ICTU economist: Lenihan an 'economic war criminal'

The Irish Congress of Trade Union's economist is accusing the Finance Minister of making serious errors that will cost people dearly.

Paul Sweeney branded Brian Lenihan "an economic war criminal" and said the policies he had pursued were worse than those of former Finance Minister Charlie McCreevy.

The senior ICTU official made the remarks at a conference in Dublin organised by the independent think-tank TASC, which is examining the Government's proposed austerity measures.

"I think he's made some really serious errors...He's going to really drive Ireland into a deep recession in the forth-coming Budget," said Mr Sweeney.
    ICTU economist: Lenihan an 'economic war criminal' | BreakingNews.ie

This is going to be real interesting.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's going to really drive Ireland into a deep recession in the forth-coming Budget," said Mr Sweeney.
    while I have little or no time for Lenihan, Mr Sweeney appears oblivious to the fact that we are already in a depression

maybe ICTU should give their members a break and cut contributions so they can get rid of imbeciles like him off the payroll?
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the coming time, I would not be surprised to see the contributions to the Unions decreased dramatically.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    In the coming time, I would not be surprised to see the contributions to the Unions decreased dramatically.
    Mrs Buzz ceased making payments to IMPACT last month
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He is 100% correct. Lenihan was politically and economically under qualified for the job. He got it as he was a low political threat to Cowen. He talks a good fight, but is bluffer and risk taker. His bank policy and NAMA have virtually undone all of the work of recent decades of not since Independence. He has ruined the economy. To think only a couple of weeks ago Cowen was saying 3 billion was still the figrue and now they are talking about up to 7 billion. The are in total chaos and have not a clue what they are at. He is a total liability anyway you look at it. It is beyond a joke that many people see him leading FF to a victory in a GE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriot View Post
    He has ruined the economy. .
    in fairness now, he's had a lot of help - the economy was already ruined by the time he got the job!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    in fairness now, he's had a lot of help - the economy was already ruined by the time he got the job!
    Taking on 500 billion euro in bank debt was a sucide note from the Republic of Ireland, that was his call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Paul Sweeney is a wafflonomist

He never backs up any of his gibberings with econometric modelling

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    You are correct. The seeds of destruction were sown by McReevey and Harney, the fertiliser was applied by Cowen.

But the measure of an idiot is someone who keeps doing the same thing and expects a different answer each time and Lenihan is filling that role to perfection.

12bn taken out in two years, economy more dead now than 18months ago(if that's at all possible) and now it is proposed to take out another 12bn over the next four years.

McSweeney is not a bad economist. He is astute and intelligent. I have a feeling that this could be the first move in populist heave against this government.

Brian, Ireland is an Island, Lenihan needs to be removed from the Finance portfolio before we end shooting each other over tins of beans.

Jaysus wept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriot View Post
    Taking on 500 billion euro in bank debt was a sucide note from the Republic of Ireland, that was his call.
    true that (although I don't think Cowen can escape responsibility for that as well)

but the property bubble (overseen and encouraged by Ahern, McCreevy and Cowen) had already burst by the time that Lenihan became Finance Minister. The consequences of that plus the fiscal bubble were always going to lead to Crash. The banks were always going to go wallop. Jobs were always going to be lost. People were always going to lose their houses. It was too late.

I remember remarking at the time when Lenihan (to general surprise) was appointed FinMin that I felt a bit sorry for him. He quickly lost that!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast