Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So far there has been 21 suicides in West Belfast this year.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default So far there have been 21 suicides in West Belfast this year.

The reality of living in an economically deprived area...

Liam McGuinness, who boxed at gold medallist Paddy Gallagher's Gleann club - and at Immaculata on the Falls Road - took his own life on Monday.

The young athlete, who had represented both Ulster and Ireland in the ring, had spent the previous day at a party held in honour of Northern Ireland's Commonwealth boxers - including Gallagher, fellow gold medallist Paddy Barnes and silver medallist Thomas McCarthy.

It is understood to be the 10th death through suicide in the Colin area of west Belfast in just a few months and the third within days.

Three young men have taken their own lives in the area in just over a week.

One of the organisers, Nuala Ni Scoilain said suicide is a "permanent solution to a temporary problem".

Three young men have taken their own lives in the area in just over a week.

UTV News - Boxer's suicide shocks west Belfast
    BBC News - Suicide vigil in west Belfast aims to raise awareness

Anyone who seen the cheers from the Tories in Westminster after announcing 4 billion worth of cuts here , should be horrified at their disrespect towards the common men and women of northern Ireland.
    Last edited by st333ve; 22nd October 2010 at 12:51 PM.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Living in an economically deprived area does not necessarily lead to suicide

It's more complicated than that. The Troubles actually gave a lot of these guys something to live for as they were defending their culture (or thought they were) and community. Now the troubles are over I wonder is life in all its boring reality too much for some

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not necessarily causes suicide yes, but certainly is a factor here.
    To suggest these kids are killing themselves because they don't have 'the Troubles' is quite ignorant, especially as a lot of them are too young to even remember let alone be involved.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Terrible that such a sad issue should be used to make cheap political propaganda

Anyone who seen the cheers from the Tories in Westminster after announcing 4 billion worth of cuts here , should be horrified at their disrespect towards the common men and women of northern Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sad fact of life.

Economic deprivation leads to increased suicide rates.

You don't need a political agenda to see that cheering about huge job losses is very disrespectful.

The two stories were on BBC NI the same day, that's why they were mentioned together as I read them together.
    I was merely showing a contrast between those effected and those imposing hardship.
    Last edited by st333ve; 22nd October 2010 at 02:01 PM.

Politics.ie Member Northern Voice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pretty cheap political point about the Tories. This is a very sad issue which I hope we find some means of resolving. Suicide should never be an option for anybody.
    Ulster Abu!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Voice View Post
    Pretty cheap political point about the Tories. This is a very sad issue which I hope we find some means of resolving. Suicide should never be an option for anybody.
    +1

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Voice View Post
    Boo Hoo, poor old Tories eh?

They deserve a good kick, they are the enemy of the working class people.

Northern Ireland's suicide epidemic claims young lovers as two more of its victims - This Britain, UK - The Independent

"The two deaths are the latest in a string of young suicides in Belfast, many of them in the poorer north and west of the city."

Commenting on the current economic situation and suicide's in deprived areas is not unusual.

Personally I was disgusted at the pleasure they shown with their snobby upper class attack on working class people in Westminster.
    I then read an article about suicides in a deprived area and commented on the articles.

Instead of allowing us the chance to grow our economy and create jobs, these Tories are contributing to this economic deprivation.

I am not using suicides to have a dig at the Tories, I am claiming that the deprivation that causes many suicides is set to expand because of what the Tories were cheering about yesterday.

The link between a failing economy and suicide is not something I invented.
    Last edited by st333ve; 22nd October 2010 at 05:19 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No steeeev what you did was take an unfortunate event like a suicide and twist it around so you could go on a Brit bashing exercise.
    Its embarassing to see our own politicians standing with the begging bowl telling anyone who would listen that we should be exempt from the huge cuts as we are a special case. We are no more special than people from Liverpool, Glasgow Cardiff and everyoneelse who lives in the UK and big decisions has to be made when the country is in a financial mess created by 'not so new 'labour who has a history of borrowing the UK into a mess.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So economic deprivation, the government and suicides in economically deprived areas should never be mentioned together?

Tell that to the campaigners who will be taking this problem to the Tories, are they "Brit bashing" too?

Do you not believe this government has a responsibility to prevent such things?

I have no problem with the cuts per se , it's their refusal to allow us the economic tools for growth and jobs for the working class people.

Here's a BBC article from the last Tory era.

"MORE SUICIDES UNDER CONSERVATIVE RULE"
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2263690.stm

"Australian scientists found the suicide rate in the country increased significantly when a Conservative government was in power.

And an analysis of figures in the UK seems to suggest a similar trend. "

Face up to the political reality of suicide, the British can so why can't I?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast