Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The FFers in Government appear to have just given up trying to manage the country.

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The FFers in Government appear to have just given up trying to manage the country.

It’s becoming more and more evident that Europe, or more specifically Olli Rehn is pulling the strings and that Cowen is acting out the role of Governor General, off to Cork today to open hospitals and Smart Economy incubator extensions. Meanwhile there’s no sign of the architect of doom, Lenihan who has been keeping very quite since the latest €2bn hole was found in his estimates.
    It seems to be the opposition doing all the work at the moment – softening us up for the most severe and significant budget in Irish history, while the silence from FF is deafening, to the extent that they’re now debating stepping even further back from the limelight and avoiding TV appearances that they can’t control – those pesky people on the Front Line just don’t do pre-scripted interviewing.
    To me the biggest, most obvious, “elephant in the room”, among a whole herd of the lumbering beasts trundling around the place, is the fact that if there has to be a 4 year financial plan that will make or break the country, and the current government has only another 2 years max on the clock, then surely it’s time for a GE to let people decide who’s solution they like best.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    It’s becoming more and more evident that Europe, or more specifically Olli Rehn is pulling the strings and that Cowen is acting out the role of Governor General, off to Cork today to open hospitals and Smart Economy incubator extensions. Meanwhile there’s no sign of the architect of doom, Lenihan who has been keeping very quite since the latest €2bn hole was found in his estimates.
    It seems to be the opposition doing all the work at the moment – softening us up for the most severe and significant budget in Irish history, while the silence from FF is deafening, to the extent that they’re now debating stepping even further back from the limelight and avoiding TV appearances that they can’t control – those pesky people on the Front Line just don’t do pre-scripted interviewing.
    To me the biggest, most obvious, “elephant in the room”, among a whole herd of the lumbering beasts trundling around the place, is the fact that if there has to be a 4 year financial plan that will make or break the country, and the current government has only another 2 years max on the clock, then surely it’s time for a GE to let people decide who’s solution they like best.
    They gave up a long time ago, in fact, when was the last time they even tried? Lisbon was the ratification of thier goal where everything gets run from Brussels/Strassbourg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's because they're making an even bigger mess for whoever is in government next so that when the inevitable happens and Fianna Fail are in opposition they can play the populist card by blaming everything on the new government and regain support. That's Fianna Fail though and though!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lets face it the day to day running of their personal lives hasn't changed a bit. Nobody it cutting the electric supply to their homes or threatening to send them to prison for not being able to afford a TV licence. There is nothing to motivate FF ministers to make an effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the second time in my lifetime that FF have destroyed the country. The 1980's was so bad,so futureless. But this is depressing in every way.

Politics.ie Member kerdasi amaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    That's because they're making an even bigger mess for whoever is in government next so that when the inevitable happens and Fianna Fail are in opposition they can play the populist card by blaming everything on the new government and regain support. That's Fianna Fail though and though!
    They can try, but, I doubt that they'll get away with it.
    We have got as much as we are going to get out of Europe; it is, now, time to leave!
    EUROPA CONVENTUS DELENDA EST!...Whistle out the marching tune.....27

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They have given up, but instead of bowing out, and letting the oppostion try fix the problem, they have decided to play poker and roulette with our fianances. Problem is they are sh1t poker players, and have no luck what so ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TimBuckII View Post
    Lets face it the day to day running of their personal lives hasn't changed a bit. Nobody it cutting the electric supply to their homes or threatening to send them to prison for not being able to afford a TV licence. There is nothing to motivate FF ministers to make an effort.
    A dose of whats going on in France might give them a kick up the hole...but our so called 'unions' haven't the bottle to really call for a mass strike..

and don't tell me that only 1500 turned up the last time..that was one of the worst advertised strikes in years and i'm a member of Unite for over 23 years and i get all the stuff in the post and i didn't hear anything...

Gimpanzee

Sure what more can they do? All the stuff they used to do - announcing 100 new jobs in a new call centre here, tuning the sod on a new bypass there, none of that is happening anymore thanks to Lehmans. In many ways, its just as tough being a government politician as it for the people who, like them, have lost their jobs.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It wouldn't take much to rattle this government... We don't need the big who-ha as seen in France to collapse it, just a couple of orchestrated campaigns at local level to to terrify a few backbenchers as to how their career is descending into oblivion... With such a slim majority in government, its the indivual backbenchers who hold all the power, and thus far are escaping practically any criticism.. They should be terrorised with how we feel... Every grievance we have with the government should be laid at their feet... Forget about the cabinet, save all your anger for the local fella...
    The one thing I know is I can't know anything else...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast