Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commuters can't use new Luas due to parking farce

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Commuters can't use new Luas due to parking farce

You just couldn't make this up!

THOUSANDS of commuters are unable to use Dublin's €300m new Luas extension because there's nowhere to park their cars.
    Hundreds of acres of empty land surround the new Luas stops, but people can't use them to park and ride because the land is now tied up in the National Asset Management Agency (NAMA).
    It also emerged last night that the agency operating the Luas has not even entered discussions with NAMA about making some of this land available to commuters for parking.
    Hundreds of drivers were turned away from the Luas terminus in Cherrywood, south Dublin, on Monday morning when the line opened for business because the only car park in operation is a private facility for workers at Dell and other adjacent offices.
    Car-park operators have put security staff in place all week to inform stunned commuters there's nowhere for them to park, and clampers have been patrolling the area.
    Full story here.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was pointed out on here when they "launched" the line a couple months back as being a huge opportunity missed. The N11 is a disaster pretty much from Cornelscourt the whole way in every morning, and there's a luas line that has the potential to take many of the cars off the road.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It could only happen in this godforsaken country --absolute madness.They only applied for planning permission for the Carrickmines "Park and Ride". in April !-still not a sod turned.The Luas extension trains are virtually empty from Cherrywood to Sandyford at the moment.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is it we can't get parking and public transport right in thsi country?

In Midleton, they built a huge car park by the new train station. Then they imposed a charge. The result is one empty paid car park and surrounding housing estates where the roads are clogged with cars taking advantage of the free parking.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    Why is it we can't get parking and public transport right in thsi country?

In Midleton, they built a huge car park by the new train station. Then they imposed a charge. The result is one empty paid car park and surrounding housing estates where the roads are clogged with cars taking advantage of the free parking.
    Pretty easily solveable by local council yellow lining streets and putting in parking zones for residents and banning parking between 10-11 and 2-3 in the day. Seen it done and solves problem.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another example of how our "entitled" politicians haven't a clue as to what goes on in the lives of "the little people". On Saturday night's RTE news I saw Biffo's mug smirking contentedly out of a Luas window at the camera, presumably desperate for a rare "good news" photo op on the new Cherrywood extension. RTE was breathlessly extolling the merits of the extension and mentioned that Luas was free for the weekend. When I called on my 90-year old mother on Sunday she'd seen the same news item and said she'd like to participate in the inaugural sessions. What a f*****g disaster! We drove to the Cherrywood stop - no parking facilities, hundreds of cars all over the place, car clampers and car towaway trucks in a despicable feeding frenzy exploiting the innocent and hapless parkers. Drove on to the next stop and terminus - Brides Glen. The same uniquely Irish non joined-up thinking f**k-up.......as I was speaking to a harassed (private) security guy who'd nothing to do with Luas, more cars were being clamped and towed away. In fairness to the security guy, when I explained my mother's age and her wish to ride on the Luas on its inaugural weekend, he actually moved a barrier and let me drive almost alongside the platform........on condition I moved the car immediately afterwards. I put her on the Luas and drove back to Sandyford to collect her there. The security guy - a Pole - said he couldn't comprehend how a whole new extension with a terminus in Brides Glen, and a major stop in Cherrywood, both well distanced from the N11 and buses, hadn't even ONE car parking space.

Biffo in his Merc with driver, needless to say, wouldn't have a clue about these two stops without any car parking, and even if he had, would he give a shyte? Seriously, can anyone think of one other European country that would build a rapid transit system - WITHOUT CAR PARKS AT THE STOPS.?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heard the report on RTE yesterday, lots of people turned away form Cherrywood because it was a private car park. 300M to extend the line for this. Slow hand clap time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah don't worry, we'll buy a bit of land for 10 times its market value and everything will be grand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No wonder the world laughs at us..........
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You'll probably find some "friendly" developers bought the adjacent land years back and are waiting for a profit for car park spaces!

What about feeder bus services to the new Luas stops? Any good? Is there any joined up thinking on this project? Should I ask?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast