Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Should the State buy those 33,000 housing units and use them to reduce housing lists?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member vanla sighs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Should the State buy those 33,000 housing units and use them to reduce housing lists?

    There are 33,000 completed or as good as completed units. Now why doesn't the State buy those houses at knock down prices (if we don't own some of them already!) and use those houses to reduce the public housing lists?

    Instead of paying rent allowance of say 120 or 160 or whatever per week to a family or a couple, every week, every month, every year - offer them a house or apartment. A couple can get about 6,500 per year in rent allowance (that's just a couple with no kids) Now if they are on rent allowance for years......well, the math is simple. The potential 4 year saving for 33,000 couples or families would be approx. 1 billion (based on an average rent allowance of 140 per week)

    Each unit (family or couple) would pay say 25 per week to the State to live there - rent basically. That would be about 43 million a year that comes back into the State coffers. Just an idea, would like to hear other folks thoughts.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanla sighs View Post
    There are 33,000 completed or as good as completed units. Now why doesn't the State buy those houses at knock down prices (if we don't own some of them already!) and use those houses to reduce the public housing lists?

    Instead of paying rent allowance of say 120 or 160 or whatever per week to a family or a couple, every week, every month, every year - offer them a house or apartment. A couple can get about 6,500 per year in rent allowance (that's just a couple with no kids) Now if they are on rent allowance for years......well, the math is simple. The potential 4 year saving for 33,000 couples or families would be approx. 1 billion (based on an average rent allowance of 140 per week)

    Each unit (family or couple) would pay say 25 per week to the State to live there - rent basically. That would be about 43 million a year that comes back into the State coffers. Just an idea, would like to hear other folks thoughts.
    So we allow people to pay rent for less than their Sky and phone service per month !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    5,897
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    FF's great plan last year was to rent them from the Developers for 20 years and make the State liable for returning them in perfect condition after 20 years of social housing
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    5,897
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    FF's great plan last year was to rent them from the Developers for 20 years and make the State liable for returning them in perfect condition after 20 years of social housing
    Rent allowance can be greater than 200 a week in some cases too
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member vanla sighs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    So we allow people to pay rent for less than their Sky and phone service per month !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is the situation we currently have! A couple getting rent allowance pays approx, 25 per week towards their rent. These would be public hosuing units, people only contribute a portion when they live in public housing units if they are not working. That is as you seem not to know the current system. And has been for decades.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member eoghanacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    sitting on my toilet.
    Posts
    33,357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Buy them?

    How many do the state/the people own throuh NAMA?

    It would reduce the rent SW pay to private landlords
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    5,897
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Buy them?

    How many do the state/the people own throuh NAMA?

    It would reduce the rent SW pay to private landlords
    NAMA does not own the properties, it owns the loans.

    The Developers still own the properties
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member vanla sighs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    FF's great plan last year was to rent them from the Developers for 20 years and make the State liable for returning them in perfect condition after 20 years of social housing
    Makes no sense whatsoever to rent them from developers (and return them in perfect condition after 20 years, lol) Hadn't heard of that FF "plan". Buy them when the market is depressed (suicidal) This is a long term investment that would save the State absolutely billions over the years.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    5,897
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanla sighs View Post
    Makes no sense to rent them from developers - buy them when the market is depressed (suicidal) This is a long term investment that would save the State absolutely billions over the years.
    You are not thinking like a FFer.

    FF exists to take the State's money and divvy it up between FF and their friends. Renting the properties makes far more sense if this is the objective
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Munion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    We own the banks, have them call in the debts, if the developers can't pay, take ownership of the collateral i.e. the houses.
    Freedom, Tolerance & Equality of Opportunity

    Economic Left/Right: -1.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •