Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the rationale behind concealing the State's books from the public?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What is the rationale behind concealing the State's books from the public?

Forgive me if I sound ill-informed.
    I was wondering, in light of the recent events whereby Opposition Finance spokespersons were shown the true horrors of the State's books by Dept of Finance officials [which implies that information was kept from them and the public] , why is it that they are concealed from the public? Surely, it would aid transparency and public discourse about the economy and the way forward if we knew exactly what was going on with regards to the State finances? What is the downside of showing us, warts and all, how bad the situation is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Information is power.

People are not to be empowered.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You do not publicise corruption or incompetence. Why are we being told ZERO on the NAMA bailouts? For all we know developers are still paying themselves tens of thousands a year courtesy of NAMA. Or professional firms being paid 1000 a week for that matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The vast majority of the Irish people are demented gibbering idiots with a rudimentary grasp of mere arithmetic, let alone accounting

This time last year the gibber monkeys were hooting over the Nama SPV's- as though they'd divined the 3rd secret of Fatima - now the issue has (rightfully) been forgotten

Until the standard of public debate in this country improves: I'd be inclined not to release any data - as else the demented gibberoons will flood the public policy debate channel - and wreck any meaningful debate

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It just seems a bit disgraceful that only senior politicians of the Government and civil servants are privy to this information. I'm somewhat more sympathetic towards the Mullingar Accord getting the projections so disastrously wrong for the 2007 GE now.

Politics.ie Member Sensible Head's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    The vast majority of the Irish people are demented gibbering idiots with a rudimentary grasp of mere arithmetic, let alone accounting

cYp
    Thank god we have people like yourself to protect us from ourselves.

I'll go with He3 on this one.
    Common Sense, the least common of all the senses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If indeed, the real reason for the CIA type secrecy is that the public are innumerate morons, what is the official reason or pretext for the DOF keeping everything to themselves?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalFG View Post
    If indeed, the real reason for the CIA type secrecy is that the public are innumerate morons, what is the official reason or pretext for the DOF keeping everything to themselves?
    "Market sensitivity" - which is bunkum as we are not in the debt markets now

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Market sensitivity" - which is bunkum as we are not in the debt markets now

cYp
    Oh I see, so they effectively lie to, and conceal information from, the markets in order to keep the bond prices low? How lovely....

Politics.ie Member Dreaded_Estate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This time last year the gibber monkeys were hooting over the Nama SPV's- as though they'd divined the 3rd secret of Fatima - now the issue has (rightfully) been forgotten

Until the standard of public debate in this country improves: I'd be inclined not to release any data - as else the demented gibberoons will flood the public policy debate channel - and wreck any meaningful debate

cYp
    In the absence of accurate information all debate is meaningless

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast