Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Centre for Public Inquiry - Yes or No?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New Centre for Public Inquiry - Yes or No?

Came across this quote again from 2005 from Mary Harney:

“I think the idea of some group of citizens setting themselves up with absolutely no justification, to enquire into others, is something that I always thought was quite sinister and inappropriate.”

As there is now extreme justification for the establishment of a new CPI, surely Ms Harney would welcome its revivial.

Amongst its early work, the new CPI could start digging into the whole banking mess, politicians expenses, public sector waste etc. Do you agree the establishment of a new CPI is both neccessary and vitally important?
    "We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history there is such a thing as being too late. Procrastination is still the thief of time. Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity.... Over the bleached bones and jumbled residue of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late." "Martin Luther King

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by Gael Nua View Post

“I think the idea of some group of citizens setting themselves up with absolutely no justification, to enquire into others, is something that I always thought was quite sinister and inappropriate.”

As there is now extreme justification for the establishment of a new CPI, surely Ms Harney would welcome its revivial.

Amongst its early work, the new CPI could start digging into the whole banking mess, politicians expenses, public sector waste etc. Do you agree the establishment of a new CPI is both neccessary and vitally important?
    Not one bankrolled by a US billionaire, no matter how benevolent he might be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Badly needed.

The Dáil and Seanad could have been a Centre for Public Inquiry. That concept has been nobbled by the tyranny of the majority in LH.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gael Nua View Post

The fact that the CPI was shut down by that effin' lunatic McDowell speaks volumes. All functioning democracies subject their governments and agencies to independent scrutiny. We are a bunch of clowns in this country to have allowed this to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    The Dáil and Seanad could have been a Centre for Public Inquiry. That concept has been nobbled by the tyranny of the majority in LH.
    Not only by FF-Greens, also by the sheer uselessness of FG and Labour, who are afraid to precipitate a general election since they know they would get a poisoned chalice.
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm surprised there is so little discussion on this. I would have thought that it is an excellent vehicle for weeding out the many, many, many inept, illegally complicit and morally substandard individuals placed in positions of trust in this country and yet barely a whimper of support or even a blackballing from the blind acolytes of the tripartite organisation within the Dáil.
    "We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history there is such a thing as being too late. Procrastination is still the thief of time. Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity.... Over the bleached bones and jumbled residue of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late." "Martin Luther King

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the legal basis for all this would be?
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thankfully the electorate of his own constituency decided McDowell was not doing a good job for his constituents, end of Michael in politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpanzee View Post
    Not one bankrolled by a US billionaire, no matter how benevolent he might be.
    I have absolutely no issue with Feeney. The issue was the calibre of the person who was the head of the orginisation in Ireland. Now, you can make what you want of McDowell's releasing of confidential Garda information, but it did make some interesting listening.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The first thing a new CPI should do is investigate how McDowell got away with completely abusing his position by bringing down the first CPI. I guess the electorate have since then delivered justice on McDowell's political career anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast