Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Months waiting for dole, no income, huge ESB bills, ends in SUICIDE.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Months waiting for dole, no income, huge ESB bills, ends in SUICIDE.

I urge all of you to listen to this podcast from the Joe Duffy show yesterday.

RT.ie Media Player: RTÉ Radio 1

Forward to 43 mins onwards.

A man from Slovakia commited suicide after being left without no support, huge debts and no hope.

For months he waited for his dole payments to come though and received no help in between. No money to pay his ESB bill afraid to use his electricity, him and his wife trying to keep warm with a candle.

The man eventually ends up commiting suicide.

A few days later his welfare cheque arrives and his wife cant even cash it to give him a funeral.

Is this what our country has come to? Disgraceful and disgusting.

How many other poor souls are in this situation?

How many people are off the records from dole figures awaiting to get some help and living in poverty.

This goverment are now looking to cut more from families and people where the end result will end up like this whilst the greens feel good about themselves adding tax to electricity charges that people cant afford.

This country disgusts me.

RIP to the poor man and my heart and prayers go out to his family.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't understand how it takes so long for someone to get their first dole payment

Surely to god they could give an advance after a couple of weeks and take it from the first cheque

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A man from Slovakia commited suicide after being left without no support, huge debts and no hope.

Not being funny but why didnt he just go back to Slovakia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's a bit distasteful to be using human tragedy to prove a point on your agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebsaboo View Post
    I think it's a bit distasteful to be using human tragedy to prove a point on your agenda.
    +1 I wouldn't expect better from Joe Duffy, I do expect higher standards here.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And how many pensions do mc creepy and aherne have at the moment? Any delay in getting those processed ?

Sickening!!
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was a very sad story. He lost his leg two years earlier due to an injury left untreated because he was afraid to go to hospital in case anyone found out he was working on a farm. The social welfare had asked his wife to come down to their office, and when she didn't come (she can't speak English), they cut off his payment. If only he had sought help, things could have been different. Another sad story, I don't know if anyone saw it was the elderly man who was conned out of his savings by a guy pretending to be a solicitor, who told him to go down and withdraw his money out of the post office. The poor man is on his own and is incredibly lonely, and was going to go to a hotel for Christmas so he wouldn't be on his own. The poor guy said he wanted to die. It was terrible to see a man of his age weeping. So sad. The bailout is really bailing out actions similar to the scumbag who took that man's money. I fear there'll be a lot of sadness and misery this Christmas. The sooner we get a new govt the better. The current one seems void of any empathy for the ordinary people of this country who never did anyone any harm in their whole lives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The standard of posting on P.ie is deteriorating every day. The inability of a larger number of posters to grasp how politics works is incredible. To use the suicide of a poor helpless man to score political points against your opposing party is very low indeed.
    I have often noticed that those who try create real discussion are shouted down by a frenzied mob of ignorant people who think politics is a football match, their side against the other with no real political discussion on how to achieve what is best for your country. Maybe I should explain in football terms the situation in Ireland , all your teams are 4th division and for anyone to think that this man’s death would have been prevented by your team in charge is either lacking in intelligence or just has their head in the sand.
    The system let this man down and the people around him such as neighbours or his former employer let him down the Irish community let him down and to a certain extent the fact that he had language difficulties may have been a factor in the creation of his situation. You cannot blame a political party cover your guilt as a community.
    No matter what the reasons the incident was tragic and let’s hopes it will never happen again when it could be prevented.
    So please stop playing the football match and discuss politics and how you as a nation can get through this difficult period in your history, it will not be solved by riots or change in personal of the people in charge, it will only be change by changing your system and attracting a new generation into politics. Attitudes must change and I refer to everyone and not just politicians.

Just a simple question; why do the owners of this site allow any lunatic to join? There are so many good contributors who are being abusively shouted down by a frenzied mob who know little of the real world of politics?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ellie08 View Post
    It was a very sad story. He lost his leg two years earlier due to an injury left untreated because he was afraid to go to hospital in case anyone found out he was working on a farm. The social welfare had asked his wife to come down to their office, and when she didn't come (she can't speak English), they cut off his payment. If only he had sought help, things could have been different.
    If only they spoke the language of the country they moved to as economic migrants. Why was he afraid people would find out he worked on a farm? Was he working here illegally or was he already claiming benefits?

From what you say above Ellie he moved here without being able to speak the language, either worked illegally or worked while claiming benefits, and then his benefits got cut off. Good. I fail to see how any government is to blame for this.

Available options:
    Learn English
    Call your embassy
    Call the hospital
    Call SVP
    Move home

Sad stories aren't automatically someones fault.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cop on neversaydie, I think it's perfectly correct to highlight the plight of people like this against the likes of the individuals I mentioned, I don't care who they are, and if you want to widen the comparison to make it more acceptable to you, here we go!

Compare the inability to pay an esb bill against the likes of:-

Harney, 1300 euro bill for hotel room for popes funeral
    Kenny, 1200 euro hotel bill for same!
    Drumm, Fitzpatrick etc etc
    Hse/siptu/ibex slush fund

Need i go on?

My sympathies to the man and his family!
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast