Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EU Commission refuses to extend 2014 deadline for cuts. Drink while you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default EU Commission refuses to extend 2014 deadline for cuts. Drink while you can.

Ireland cannot extend debt deadline, says Commission - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 21, 2010
    THE EUROPEAN Commission has rejected calls for the 2014 deadline for getting the Irish public finances under control to be extended by two years.

The chief spokesman for EU economics commissioner Olli Rehn said last night only the European Council could change the 2014 target confirmed recently by the Government.

He was commenting after the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) endorsed the suggestion from the general secretary of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions, David Begg, that the Government should extend to 2016 the period over which it attempts to reduce the deficit.

The institute said it had “grave doubts over the wisdom” of the strategy which aims to reduce most of the deficit by 2014 as it posed a risk of “overkill”.

Mr Rehn’s spokesman, however, pointed out the Government’s policy commitments were made “before its European partners” and could only be changed by agreement with them at a European Council meeting.

“The Irish Government has confirmed as of the end of September its commitment to achieving the 3 per cent per target in 2014,” he said.
    This country is no longer being run in the best interests of the Irish people.

It is now being run in the best interests of continental Europe.

They told Spotty that if he voted for Lisbon he would get jobs and growth.

In fact, he is getting European mandated austerity and depression.

No serious economist argues that these cuts by 2014 will restore prosperity.

The aim is no longer to save Ireland. It is to save the Euro.

This is where we are.

Thanks a lot, fellow countrymen.

It wasn't Lisbon, by the way. It was all the treaties before that.

While the UK is free to cut its budget and lower its currency, we are trapped in a monetary hole created by Brussels, and we won't be allowed out of it.

The country is no longer sovereign.

Spotty has opened the whiskey. The rest of you might as well follow suit.

God Bless Ireland. It was a nice place, while it lasted.
    Spotty. A pimple on the arse of politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've opened a bottle too but to pour petrol in it and light a rag. What is it the Americans say: Don't tread on me? I prefer: They shall not pass! No government can do it, everyone knows that - not without turning Ireland into a second world country. They know themselves they can't do it, why not simply admit it! I wonder are we legally bound to have those cuts made by 2014? Mr.Rehn seems to think so but where exactly is our Munich Agreement, where's the little piece of paper, has the State signed a binding declaration on this? I don't think so - so what the hell is Rehn talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vanla sighs View Post
    I've opened a bottle too but to pour petrol in it and light a rag. What is it the Americans say: Don't tread on me? I prefer: They shall not pass! No government can do it, everyone knows that - not without turning Ireland into a second world country. They know themselves they can't do it, why not simply admit it! I wonder are we legally bound to have those cuts made by 2014? Mr.Rehn seems to think so but where exactly is our Munich Agreement, where's the little piece of paper, has the State signed a binding declaration on this? I don't think so - so what the hell is Rehn talking about?
    Spotty doesn't know. I feel utterly defeated by it all. At this point, I wonder if there's anything at all to be said for saying another mass?

But lookit, if you're willing to organise a revolution, Spotty will be there. With his own missiles.
    Spotty. A pimple on the arse of politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hang on a minute.

Whatever the motives of the EU Commission, they are dead right to refuse to extend the deadline, which is to get our annual borrowing for the budget down to 3%. Not, with respect, to cut spending. Though I admit that is what we will ultimately have to do.

We can't keep borrowing as if we're credit card junkies. We need to stop adding to the debt and start paying it down.

The fact that the EU are taking a hard line with us is a good thing. Because if they weren't, the gombeens in power would STILL be doing what they've done since they got into office. Spending more than we have and bankrupting us.

I don't like the fact that they have that hold on us, but on the other hand, I'm damn glad someone is acting like a grown up and timing us out, because our leaders have acted like sugar-crazed kids in a candy store.
    "The fact that some posters here are better informed than a lot of our political reps, on economic matters, scares the bejesus out of them." limericklady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spotty View Post
    Ireland cannot extend debt deadline, says Commission - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 21, 2010

This country is no longer being run in the best interests of the Irish people.

It is now being run in the best interests of continental Europe.

They told Spotty that if he voted for Lisbon he would get jobs and growth.

In fact, he is getting European mandated austerity and depression.

No serious economist argues that these cuts by 2014 will restore prosperity.

The aim is no longer to save Ireland. It is to save the Euro.

This is where we are.

Thanks a lot, fellow countrymen.

It wasn't Lisbon, by the way. It was all the treaties before that.

While the UK is free to cut its budget and lower its currency, we are trapped in a monetary hole created by Brussels, and we won't be allowed out of it.

The country is no longer sovereign.

Spotty has opened the whiskey. The rest of you might as well follow suit.

God Bless Ireland. It was a nice place, while it lasted.
    Just wondering did it take this EU statement for you to think the country is no longer been run in the best interest's of the Irish people......
    Where have you been for the last 13 years............
    Find a Job you love,and you will never work a day in your life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The country hasn't been run in the interest of the Irish people for years. To be honest the EU have had little to do with that.

They're just looking for their money back from their debtors. And whether you like the EU or not, I personally think the government deserve all the heat they get from them!
    "The fact that some posters here are better informed than a lot of our political reps, on economic matters, scares the bejesus out of them." limericklady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spotty View Post
    But lookit, if you're willing to organise a revolution, Spotty will be there. With his own missiles.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trekkypj View Post
    The country hasn't been run in the interest of the Irish people for years.
    You think we should take it back like in one of those peaceful colour revolutions? Or break out the pikes?

Are there even enough angry people in all Irteland to join in?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a completely scaremongering meaningless article beating out the 'there is no alternative' mantra.

The Commission can't force us to do anything about the date for reducing our deficit to 3%. The monitoring is under the growth and stability pact. Okay, sanctions could be used under that for going over the 3% deficit to GDP ratio, and 60% public debt, but the EU Council of Ministers is not a monolith. There are other countries on there (Greece, portugal, spain etc) who also will not draconian sanctions put through. In addition we have the precedent that sanctions were not applied against France and Germany.

If they want to save the euro, let them do that. We can decide the timetable for meeting the commitment and there is not much they can do about it because there is no 'they', only a collection of countries ministers at the Council of Ministers, some of whom represent countries with problems as serious and almost as serious as ours.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Curiouser and curiouser . Nah , not really though . The writing has been on the wall for ages . Why in Gods name would Brian and Brian ask for help from their 'enemies' ?

Yes class , because they, nay, we, are screwed . Have a biscuit .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast