Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality Bites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Reality Bites

As some of you will know my business, like many, many others, has been under severe pressure. I have twelve full time employees. We've done the massive cost cutting, the wage cuts, and been virtually gymnastic in trying to bring in revenue but all to little avail. My own wage was below one of my employees for two months earlier this year. Over the summer things really got bad. Year on year we're down 40% in revenue.

I've been having ever more drastic meetings with my accountant but today, reality bit. I had to let two people go. These are wonderful workers; dependable, engaging, pleasant and loyal. One has been with me for eight years. I know their partners, one of whom is on the dole, and we have been to each others family events. It was a genuinely horrible experience- shock and tears.

Two years ago I would never have thought I would ever have been in this position. Much is said about 100 redundancies here, 200 there. The numbers mentioned on the news almost depersonalise the tragedy but it came front and centre for me today. The fact that there are ten others looking at their colleagues fate today will also undoubtedly create terrible worry for them too.

But the truly horrible thing is I don't think it'll be the last time I have to have that conversation.

Today, for me, Ireland's reality bit.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has bitten for a lot already.

Sorry to see it come to your door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While we have diasgreed with you over things in the past Droit..I feel for you today!

Really sorry!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    While we have diasgreed with you over things in the past Droit..I feel for you today!

Really sorry!
    It's worse for them but you're right, I've had better days. It was unreal to be the person who actually has to say the words.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Er yeah . Commiserations . Hard luck to the folks you had to let go aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeDroit View Post
    It's worse for them but you're right, I've had better days. It was unreal to be the person who actually has to say the words.
    As one who often delievers the most awful news I know how you feel.
    Might I suggest a stiff drink!...(purely for medicinal purposes course!)
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    As one who often delievers the most awful news I know how you feel.
    Might I suggest a stiff drink!...(purely for medicinal purposes course!)
    I'm in at 7am so no drinking on a school night but can't wait til Friday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm in at 7am so no drinking on a school night but can't wait til Friday!
    48 more hours!!!!....Take care of yourself...you had no other choice!!!

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My own wage was below one of my employees for two months earlier this year.
    A chara, sometimes we have to be stripped down so that we can see the truth. I think its time for you to start to question the basis of the capitalist system, and the lies it is based on. You may think Im being insensitive to your grief, but I am not. Its only in moments of great pain that we have the opportunity to learn.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry LeDroit. I hope things will improve. In fact, I have a feeeeeling that they will, to copy my tarot card reader sister. I really do.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast