Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Belfast Case thrown out of Court amid concerns of Security Force Collusion

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Belfast Case thrown out of Court amid concerns of Security Force Collusion

From what I gather -

The defence for a dissident Republican have evidence to show that The security Forces had an agent who knowingly sent out Dissident republicans to fire bomb premises on the Boucher Road in Belfast in 2006 in the hope of a blanket of Dissident arrests.

He alleged that another individual, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had instigated the fire bomb attack, while working as a paid agent of the state.

Niall Murphy, of Kevin Winters and Company, said: "When our client made his defence in crown court by means of a defence statement, he made a very particular defence.

"The defence was that he insisted that another individual, who cannot be named for legal reasons, commissioned, prepared and instigated this attack for which our client was charged
    BBC News - Man cleared of fire bombing says agent set him up

Effectively the State firebombed Belfast in the hope of Dissident republican arrests

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    From what I gather -

The defence for a dissident Republican have evidence to show that The security Forces had an agent who knowingly sent out Dissident republicans to fire bomb premises on the Boucher Road in Belfast in 2006 in the hope of a blanket of Dissident arrests.

BBC News - Man cleared of fire bombing says agent set him up

Effectively the State firebombed Belfast in the hope of Dissident republican arrests
    Tis like deja vu over again
    An Phoblacht: Trial collapses over role of 'British agent'

The allegation seems to be that British agent provocateurs were behind the attacks.

Politics.ie Member Northern Voice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alleged.
    Ulster Abu!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would it concern you NV, if you found out that dissident attacks were being orchestrated by the security services? Or is you loyalty to the state so blind you would prefer not to know?

BTW it's fairly conclusive that an agent provocateur was involved in the Ballymena case.
    Last edited by picador; 21st October 2010 at 12:45 AM.

Politics.ie Member Northern Voice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by picador View Post
    Would it concern you NV, if you found out that dissident attacks were being orchestrated by the security services? Or is you loyalty to the state so blind you would prefer not to know?

BTW it's fairly conclusive that an agent provocatuer was involved in the Ballymena case.
    Of course it would concern me, but if it was an efficient and safe way in rounding up dangerous dissident criminals then I would have to reappraise my opinion.
    Ulster Abu!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Voice View Post
    Of course it would concern me, but if it was an efficient and safe way in rounding up dangerous dissident criminals then I would have to reappraise my opinion.
    Instigate crime. Round up the criminals. Is there no end to the amount of naked corruption true blue Ulster loyalists are prepared to justify? Silly question.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

british justice in ireland at work!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    From what I gather -

The defence for a dissident Republican have evidence to show
    The defence team claim ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by picador View Post
    Instigate crime. Round up the criminals. Is there no end to the amount of naked corruption true blue Ulster loyalists are prepared to justify? Silly question.
    Loyalists have never understood civil rights. It has always been "any means to an end." Be that mean internment, or gerrymandering, or collusion, or instigating dissident violence in hopes of a "greater catch", loyalists have no problem with it. It's the disease of the privileged, who never question the attacks on the rights of the people because it's always some other people that are being targetted, which is fine with those who rally on the side of the status quo, because they believe government should serve them alone and the laws should protect them alone.

Politics.ie Member Ó Donnchadha's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it is called entrapment.
    a defense that claims the defendant would not have broken the law if not tricked into doing it by law enforcement officials

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast