Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many billionaires are there in Ireland?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How many billionaires are there in Ireland?

A once off wealth tax of 50% would raise about 7 billion euros and we wouldn't need to have any cutbacks or austerity measures.

The accumulated wealth of U2 is about 2 billion. I'm sure the philanthropist Bono wouldn't mind parting with half that to save his fellow countrymen from what looks like very real hardship. Time he put his money where his mouth is.

Politics.ie Member Hillmanhunter1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your nom de plume, Jesus Wept, got me thinking about Gods little helpers The Church must have billions of Euros of assets. Perhaps its time for a modern equivalent of the Dissolution o the Monasteries?
    I'm not sure that Jesus would shed a tear!
    UK exports to EU = 48%. EU exports to U.K. = 8 %. RoI exports to UK = 14%. RoI exports to EU = 50%.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are there more threads calling for higher taxes,then those about increasing efficiency of government,and bringing business to Ireland?

If the govt doesn't learn to be efficient,then there will be problems again.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaxHavenSite View Post
    Why are there more threads calling for higher taxes,then those about increasing efficiency of government,and bringing business to Ireland?
    I'm not calling for higher taxes, simply a once off tax that would hit the mega wealthy and save Joe Public a lot of pain. I don't see why someone who has a billion quid can't be just as happy on a half billion. And if I've won the lottery tonight (haven't checked my numbers yet) would be more than happy to share half it with some other lucky punter.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Wept View Post
    I'm not calling for higher taxes, simply a once off tax that would hit the mega wealthy and save Joe Public a lot of pain. I don't see why someone who has a billion quid can't be just as happy on a half billion. And if I've won the lottery tonight (haven't checked my numbers yet) would be more than happy to share half it with some other lucky punter.
    But its not really fixing the problem,its a temporary fix.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you think that if someone has the knowhow to gather a billion for themselves that they should be given every opportunity to gather more. I would be thinking that in the gathering of this money they may have created quite a few jobs in the process

Politics.ie Member Mister_Jinks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Wept View Post
    Would there not be a flight of capital out of the already beleaguered banks though? Assuming that the smart money has not already gone or is going.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would Bono, or anyone else wish to hand over half their wealth to the gov?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

U2 are tax-domiciled in The Netherlands. Michael Smurfit in Monaco. Dermot Desmond in the Bahamas. Denis O'Brien in Portugal.

Who is left for you to tax? The Dunnes Stores Family? Most of their wealth is in their business. Would you seize 50% of Dunnes Stores? What would you do with it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IIRC there was 6, now theres 4.

if memory serves both sir anto and mr quinn have fallen out of that bracket since the bust.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast