Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Statements on meetings of party leaders to discuss the public finances

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Statements on meetings of party leaders to discuss the public finances

Firstly, a Statement from the Government...

Government Statement following Meeting of Party Leaders on the Public Finances

Taoiseach, Brian Cowen TD, Leader of Fianna Fail, and Minister for the Environment and Local Government, John Gormley TD, Leader of the Green Party, met this afternoon in Government Buildings for over two hours with Enda Kenny TD, Leader of Fine Gael and Eamon Gilmore TD, Leader of the Labour Party, to discuss the state of the public finances.

The meeting followed briefings of their respective party spokespersons by the Department of Finance earlier this week.

The Taoiseach indicated his view that it would be in the national interest that there be clarity about the country’s determination to restore fiscal stability.

The party leaders reaffirmed their commitment to addressing the deficit in the public finances with a view to reducing it to 3% of GDP by 2014.

The party leaders also welcomed the proposal that there should be a debate on the economy in Dail Eireann next week.

The Department of Finance remains available to continue their briefing of the Opposition parties and to cost any proposals which they put forward to help tackle the deficit in the public finances.

In addition, the Minister for Finance will be available to Opposition Finance Spokespersons to exchange analyses.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And Fine Gael's sent a moment after the one issued by the Government....

Kenny says country needs a recovery plan not just an austerity plan

Plan must include a stimulus and growth package

Today (Wednesday) Enda Kenny TD, Leader of Fine Gael, met with the Taoiseach and leaders of the Labour Party and the Green Party to discuss the economic crisis facing the country.

Following the meeting Enda Kenny TD said “The country needs a recovery plan not just an austerity plan and that recovery plan must include a stimulus and growth package focused on job creation and fundamental reform of the way government operates. The fiscal adjustments must also seek to protect the most vulnerable in our society.”

Deputy Kenny welcomed agreement amongst the Party Leaders for the necessity to reduce the public debt to GDP ratio to 3% by 2014. He also welcomed confirmation that the Fine Gael Finance team will receive ongoing briefings from the Department of Finance and the commitment from Government that growth and fiscal forecasts would be shared with the opposition.

He concluded, “It remains clear that the only way a mandate can be secured for the implementation of a recovery plan is through a General Election. However, in its absence, the Dáil is the place to achieve consensus on the economic challenges facing the country. I look forward to the two day economic debate proposed for next week when Fine Gael will outline its balanced approach to recovery and rebuilding the economy.”

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We're expecting Labour's shortly.......

<space reserved here for it>

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    We're expecting Labour's shortly.......

<space reserved here for it>
    If it's policy based that should about be wide enough.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    And Fine Gael's sent a moment after the one issued by the Government....
    No shock horror at what they found out only the other day?
    My, my, why would that be now?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

will the greens issue a separate one? I imagine they should have already.

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    If it's policy based that should about be wide enough.
    Go to The Labour Party &#187; Let's build a better, fairer Ireland &#187; Home Page Read their policies. I'm not pushed whether you agree with them or not but it is absolute rubbish saying they don't have them. Banks, education, health...they're all there. They are the most policy/ideology driven party in the Dáil. Stop spouting FF claptrap about how they are a policy free zone.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot MacMurrough View Post
    Go to The Labour Party » Let's build a better, fairer Ireland » Home Page Read their policies. I'm not pushed whether you agree with them or not but it is absolute rubbish saying they don't have them. Banks, education, health...they're all there. They are the most policy/ideology driven party in the Dáil. Stop spouting FF claptrap about how they are a policy free zone.
    Policy is about how you get from where you are to where you want to be, Labour has none of that.
    What they have is lots of windy aspirations with shag all detail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot MacMurrough View Post
    Go to The Labour Party » Let's build a better, fairer Ireland » Home Page Read their policies. I'm not pushed whether you agree with them or not but it is absolute rubbish saying they don't have them. Banks, education, health...they're all there. They are the most policy/ideology driven party in the Dáil. Stop spouting FF claptrap about how they are a policy free zone.
    There's no link to "policy", there's a link to "ideas". Lovely.

These policies include Transforming Sport, a Labour Youth document, a "submission to the Joint Sub-Committee on the review of the role of the Oireachtas in European Affairs", something about tourists and an architect's sketch of what schools would look like under Labour. Lovely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    No shock horror at what they found out only the other day?
    My, my, why would that be now?
    Tonic - just wondering what your point is here ?
    Repeal the 8th

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast