Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EU to use Lisbon to impose VAT

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default EU to use Lisbon to impose VAT

During the Lisbon campaigns I and many others warned of the implications of the amended Article 311 TFEU, which provides for 'a system of own resources for the Union' in furthering EU tax-harmonisation that would remove the principle of "no taxation without representation". VAT is the most regressive of fiscal-instruments, and the unelected Commission's intent to invoke Lisbon to impose it underlines that the Left are being taken for mugs if they believe the guff about Brussels' commitment to a 'social-Europe'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Euobserver.com
    The European Commission has proposed a list of potential methods to enable the EU to raise its 'own resources' in future, citing the need to end current wrangling over member state contributions to the Brussels budget.
    A separate EU-wide value added tax (VAT) is among the ideas contained in the commission's "budget review" published on Tuesday (19 October), a document which stems from a Franco-British spat in December 2005 over EU payments.
    Other self-funding mechanisms could include a financial sector tax, a share of profits from auctioned greenhouse gas emission allowances, an EU charge related to air transport, an EU energy tax or an EU corporate income tax.
    Presenting the review in the European Parliament in Strasbourg, EU budget commissioner Janusz Lewandowski said the EU budget should rely less on member state contributions, as was previously the case.
    Brussels: Be sure your Lisbon-lies will find you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Article 311 TFEU
    The Union shall provide itself with the means necessary to attain its objectives and carry through its policies.

Without prejudice to other revenue, the budget shall be financed wholly from own resources.

The Council, acting in accordance with a special legislative procedure, shall unanimously and after consulting the European Parliament adopt a decision laying down the provisions relating to the system of own resources of the Union. In this context it may establish new categories of own resources or abolish an existing category. That decision shall not enter into force until it is approved by the Member States in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements.

The Council, acting by means of regulations in accordance with a special legislative procedure, shall lay down implementing measures for the Union's own resources system in so far as this is provided for in the decision adopted on the basis of the third paragraph. The Council shall act after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

FT , you didnt emphasis this bit:

"That decision shall not enter into force until it is approved by the Member States in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements. "

The member states will still have to agree unanimously. And that might require referenda in a few of them.

To be honest, I can't see the Germans or French going along with this, let alone the eurosceptic British.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How does "has proposed" become "to"?
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    How does "has proposed" become "to"?
    FT does have a point - he's pointing out the fundementally undemocratic mindset in the EU Commission.

They are proposing taxation without representation.

Basically a form of legalised looting from member states.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Typical rubbish from FT. Someone suggests something is a possibility and he leaps onto it as fact.

Child says "If my mum lets me, I might buy fireworks as some point if I think it's the right thing to do"

FT rushes to open a thread on "CHILD USES AGREEMENT ON POCKET MONEY TO BUY FIREWORKS"

I don't think FT is all that stupid a person, so the only other conclusion is that he's being deliberately disingenuous.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Typical rubbish from FT. Someone suggests something is a possibility and he leaps onto it as fact.

it's a tabloid mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FT stoops to lying about the EU ... again! Glad to see that some things never change!

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post

Child says "If my mum lets me, I might buy fireworks as some point if I think it's the right thing to do"

FT rushes to open a thread on "CHILD USES AGREEMENT ON POCKET MONEY TO BUY FIREWORKS"

I don't think FT is all that stupid a person, so the only other conclusion is that he's being deliberately disingenuous.
    I stand over my contention at the OP of this thread.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johntrenchard View Post
    FT does have a point - he's pointing out the fundementally undemocratic mindset in the EU Commission.

They are proposing taxation without representation.

Basically a form of legalised looting from member states.
    Yes, he does not support what doesn't suit him from Unelected Europe,
    but pushes for the 'laws ' on 'gays' created by these unelected people.

So it is all 'air' this stuff about 'democracy'.The only way much of the legislation, on these minorities could be passed was 'stealthily', by unelected
    agents.
    Fits in with their true 'stealth ' plans for society.

That EU Observer article points out far more than just EU Vat. Worth reading

EUobserver / Commission breaks taboo on 'own resources'

"Other self-funding mechanisms could include a financial sector tax, a share of profits from auctioned greenhouse gas emission allowances, an EU charge related to air transport, an EU energy tax or an EU corporate income tax."

I think we in Ireland would be most concerned about that last one. Tax harmonisation by the back door.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast