Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Eoghan Harris: Benchmarking public pay and welfare to NI levels would save 23bn

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member borntorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Eoghan Harris: Benchmarking public pay and welfare to NI levels would save 23bn

    Eoghan Harris was on Morning Ireland this morning calling for a 10% reduction in politicians pay. Link here

    During his interview he stated that "benchmarking" (whatever that means) public sector pay and social welfare payments to Northern Ireland levels would save 23bn. He then seems to suggest it might be 15bn - it's not clear.

    We know that our public pay and welfare levels are higher than in the UK, but this 23bn figure sounds very high to me. Does anyone know how much more we are spending on these things compared to our neighbours?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Akrasia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    in Toxicated
    Posts
    1,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Eoghan Harris should have a 100% reduction in his own 'politicians pay' given that he is not a politician, he is merely one of Bertie's cronies taking his salary for loyalty and services rendered during the years that Ahern was laying the seeds of our destruction.

    Harris should quit his yapping and put his money where his mouth is. He should give back every penny he has 'earned' as a senator. He has more than enough to survive on in his other well paid jobs,
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member ctr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'll assume he'll give us the NHS standard health service free at the point of use & lower tax rates etc. also as otherwise he is talking out of his arse!

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Kerrygold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kerry
    Posts
    4,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    How about getting rid of useless, pointless senators appointed by disgraced Taoisigh?

    The man's a clown and should be treated as such. What are RTE doing given this cretin airtime? Or is that a stupid question?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Good idea Eoghan. Do they have a Seanad up there? No? OK, lets close down the Seanad here in parallel??

    Did FF/RTE ask him that question? Did they fk!!!

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    But our PS pay bill is only 18 billion.!!! How do we get to 23 billion? People actually pay to work in the PS? Harris seems like he is on drugs.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldira1 View Post
    But our PS pay bill is only 18 billion.!!! How do we get to 23 billion? People actually pay to work in the PS? Harris seems like he is on drugs.
    oh I'd say he's on something all right!!
    'We are all lying in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars'

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Key issue is NI pay v UK pay

    Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Eoghan Harris was on Morning Ireland this morning calling for a 10% reduction in politicians pay. Link here

    During his interview he stated that "benchmarking" (whatever that means) public sector pay and social welfare payments to Northern Ireland levels would save €23bn. He then seems to suggest it might be €15bn - it's not clear.

    We know that our public pay and welfare levels are higher than in the UK, but this €23bn figure sounds very high to me. Does anyone know how much more we are spending on these things compared to our neighbours?
    A key issue is how NI public sector pay compares with UK public sector pay. I assume that pay is standardised across the UK except for London,which pays a London allowance for the high cost of living. It's about time we considered paying a Dublin allowance instead of paying Dublin wages in country areas with a low cost of living.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member TradCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    €75,000 is what MPs get in Britain. €112,000 is what TDs get. So in the Harris plan politicians get off a lot more lightly than the public service. Nurses and Gardai would be reduced to UK levels but TDs would still get 25% more than their counterparts.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member borntorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradCat View Post
    €75,000 is what MPs get in Britain. €112,000 is what TDs get. So in the Harris plan politicians get off a lot more lightly than the public service. Nurses and Gardai would be reduced to UK levels but TDs would still get 25% more than their counterparts.
    In fairness to Harris, he wasn't saying that we should reduce our public pay and welfare spend to UK levels. He was claiming that if we did, we'd save €26 bn (or €15bn, it's unclear).

    BTW, I agree that politicians pay should be reduced by more than 10%. According to G Fitzgerald in last Saturday's IT, Dev managed to survive on the equivalent of €70k when he was Taoiseach

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •