Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Do we need elected councillors

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Do we need elected councillors

Ok unsure if a thread like this has been started before, if so apologises.

However I am chairman of our residents assocaition out in Dublin West, basically I have to say that any of me emails to the officials in Fingal County Council have been answered within 24 hours and normally answer the questions which we asked. Meetings have also been arranged quite easily.

I am just wondering in the modern age of communciations with officals in the county council do we need to have elected councillors, especially in our case we have not heard or seen any of them since the local elections in June 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That depends whether you think councillors should be there for dealing with constituents queries or whether you think they should be a constituents voice in setting the development and maintenance priorities of an area?

If it's the former, then they probably aren't needed.

Unfortunately, most councillors know that is the way to be re-elected.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think we do, but we could easily manage with half the number of councils and half the number of councillors.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do we need elected officials? Probably not, but I prefer it to all out feudalism.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jayblue View Post
    Ok unsure if a thread like this has been started before, if so apologises.

However I am chairman of our residents assocaition out in Dublin West, basically I have to say that any of me emails to the officials in Fingal County Council have been answered within 24 hours and normally answer the questions which we asked. Meetings have also been arranged quite easily.

I am just wondering in the modern age of communciations with officals in the county council do we need to have elected councillors, especially in our case we have not heard or seen any of them since the local elections in June 2009
    I've been like that for years. Mind you, I was chairperson of my own local residents association a few years ago, when I moved into a new area, and the majority of the people who came to meetings were older or even elderly. During one meeting when I told them that I contacted the council about a particular matter, they asked which councillor I went through. They were amazed when I told them I contacted the council directly myself, and were under the impression that you couldn't do this, but that you had to deal via a councillor. This is the impression many councillors give, and it maintains the "gombeen" nature of local and national politics.

Personally, I ring the council three or four times a week on behalf of people, despite not being elected, and they give me great service. In fact, I'd say I get better service than many elected councillors, because I am simply polite to them, rather than councillors going in shouting at them in an attempt to be "seen to do something" rather than actually "doing something"

Council staff are dead on in my opinion. Like anyone else in a paid job, simply be polite to them, don't expect miracles, and accept the answers you get.

Easy peasy.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlin3 View Post
    I think we do, but we could easily manage with half the number of councils and half the number of councillors.
    We would save plenty of money also.