Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ryanair: Gov will have to sell A Lingus

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Ryanair: Gov will have to sell A Lingus

    Ryanair hopes the Irish government's Budget woes will help the low-cost carrier finally seal a takeover of Aer Lingus, Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary told a German newspaper today.

    Ryanair, which owns almost 30 percent of Aer Lingus, has tried twice to take over its rival but has struggled to overcome opposition from the government which holds a quarter of Aer Lingus.
    "The government is broke now, it has to sell its holdings. In the end, it will sell Aer Lingus as well," O'Leary said in an interview published in daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung today.
    BUSINESS WORLD - Ryanair: Gov will have to sell A Lingus

    O'Leary is looking for what he can gain out of this. Eliminate the competition.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Tourism is going to be vitally important for Ireland in the future.

    All this sh1tetalk about the smart economy is good and well, but we have a natural advantage in tourism, and we shoudl exploit it.

    We should be aiming to cut costs to attract further numbers (Nama holding hotels and driving down the price of rooms is quite useful for this).

    To this end, we need an international carrier trucking in the yanks. Thats what Aer Lingus does.

    If Ryanair take it over, and continue the long haul, what exactly is the problem here?
    If we got guarantees that O'Leary would continue the transatlantic, and even if he could bring down fares, I would not in principle be against the sale.

    I don'tr care about Aer Lingus's history, or the unions, or mean nasty O'Leary.
    What advantage do we hold as a nation in having a substantial block of AL shares, and what would we lose if we sold them to O'Leary?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Arracht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    1,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A long haul Ryanair flight - wasn't that one of the levels in Dantes Inferno?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Tourism is going to be vitally important for Ireland in the future.

    All this sh1tetalk about the smart economy is good and well, but we have a natural advantage in tourism, and we shoudl exploit it.

    We should be aiming to cut costs to attract further numbers (Nama holding hotels and driving down the price of rooms is quite useful for this).

    To this end, we need an international carrier trucking in the yanks. Thats what Aer Lingus does.

    If Ryanair take it over, and continue the long haul, what exactly is the problem here?
    If we got guarantees that O'Leary would continue the transatlantic, and even if he could bring down fares, I would not in principle be against the sale.

    I don'tr care about Aer Lingus's history, or the unions, or mean nasty O'Leary.
    What advantage do we hold as a nation in having a substantial block of AL shares, and what would we lose if we sold them to O'Leary?
    There is zero chance of the Government selling to O'Leary. No one (outside of Ryanair & associates) in the Irish Aviation industry sees anything other than catastrophe in the event of Ryanair getting Aer Lingus.

    This reminds me of Seanie Fitz trying to get the government to force INBS into a merger with Anglo in september 2008. The difference is that INBS had no future. Aer Lingus are guiding a €29 M profit this year with an upward trajectory. Ryanair's business model urgently needs to be re-invented but Boeing and Airbus won't play ball. He has a serious problem. In 5 years this debate will have turned 180 degrees (or 360 degrees if you look back to Seamus Brennan saving Ryanair).

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork South Central - Cork SE LEA
    Posts
    2,931
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Seeing that the takeover has been blocked on competition grounds, if they do sell the shares, it won't be to Ryanair.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    33,459
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    Seeing that the takeover has been blocked on competition grounds, if they do sell the shares, it won't be to Ryanair.
    But didn't the government get a pass on competition stickies when the bust came i.e. to prop up the economy, or was this get out of jail free card only for the financial institutions.

    Anyway, I think Brian will call in the IMF before he would sell the Meany O'Leary.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    12,595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McEavelli View Post
    There is zero chance of the Government selling to O'Leary. No one (outside of Ryanair & associates) in the Irish Aviation industry sees anything other than catastrophe in the event of Ryanair getting Aer Lingus.
    Why?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'll lay my cards on the table and confess to being a fully paid-up O'Leary afficionado. His radio interviews make better listening than Monty Python. Who else is going to verbalise on the airwaves all those dark thoughts you harbour about politicians and union beards?

    Why shouldn't he have Aer Lingus? What the hell does the Government want with a large chunk of an airline? A government's job is to run a country which, as we've seen, it does very badly. The old tale of wanting to have an influential role in Aer Lingus policy was trashed when the airline decided to move its Heathrow flights from Shannon to Belfast. Meanwhile, Shannon, in the grip of the DAA, is slowly expiring because the State has lost interest in it but won't give it the freedom to compete with its big brother on the east coast.

    The less any government, civil servant or union has to do with private business the better. They have enough to be getting on with, sweeping up the ashes of the burned-out economy.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    +1

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Newbie MadAsHell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Naas
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arracht View Post
    A long haul Ryanair flight - wasn't that one of the levels in Dantes Inferno?
    But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •