Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Ryanair: Gov will have to sell A Lingus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ryanair: Gov will have to sell A Lingus

Ryanair hopes the Irish government's Budget woes will help the low-cost carrier finally seal a takeover of Aer Lingus, Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary told a German newspaper today.

Ryanair, which owns almost 30 percent of Aer Lingus, has tried twice to take over its rival but has struggled to overcome opposition from the government which holds a quarter of Aer Lingus.
    "The government is broke now, it has to sell its holdings. In the end, it will sell Aer Lingus as well," O'Leary said in an interview published in daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung today.
    BUSINESS WORLD - Ryanair: Gov will have to sell A Lingus

O'Leary is looking for what he can gain out of this. Eliminate the competition.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tourism is going to be vitally important for Ireland in the future.

All this sh1tetalk about the smart economy is good and well, but we have a natural advantage in tourism, and we shoudl exploit it.

We should be aiming to cut costs to attract further numbers (Nama holding hotels and driving down the price of rooms is quite useful for this).

To this end, we need an international carrier trucking in the yanks. Thats what Aer Lingus does.

If Ryanair take it over, and continue the long haul, what exactly is the problem here?
    If we got guarantees that O'Leary would continue the transatlantic, and even if he could bring down fares, I would not in principle be against the sale.

I don'tr care about Aer Lingus's history, or the unions, or mean nasty O'Leary.
    What advantage do we hold as a nation in having a substantial block of AL shares, and what would we lose if we sold them to O'Leary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A long haul Ryanair flight - wasn't that one of the levels in Dantes Inferno?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Tourism is going to be vitally important for Ireland in the future.

All this sh1tetalk about the smart economy is good and well, but we have a natural advantage in tourism, and we shoudl exploit it.

We should be aiming to cut costs to attract further numbers (Nama holding hotels and driving down the price of rooms is quite useful for this).

To this end, we need an international carrier trucking in the yanks. Thats what Aer Lingus does.

If Ryanair take it over, and continue the long haul, what exactly is the problem here?
    If we got guarantees that O'Leary would continue the transatlantic, and even if he could bring down fares, I would not in principle be against the sale.

I don'tr care about Aer Lingus's history, or the unions, or mean nasty O'Leary.
    What advantage do we hold as a nation in having a substantial block of AL shares, and what would we lose if we sold them to O'Leary?
    There is zero chance of the Government selling to O'Leary. No one (outside of Ryanair & associates) in the Irish Aviation industry sees anything other than catastrophe in the event of Ryanair getting Aer Lingus.

This reminds me of Seanie Fitz trying to get the government to force INBS into a merger with Anglo in september 2008. The difference is that INBS had no future. Aer Lingus are guiding a €29 M profit this year with an upward trajectory. Ryanair's business model urgently needs to be re-invented but Boeing and Airbus won't play ball. He has a serious problem. In 5 years this debate will have turned 180 degrees (or 360 degrees if you look back to Seamus Brennan saving Ryanair).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seeing that the takeover has been blocked on competition grounds, if they do sell the shares, it won't be to Ryanair.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    Seeing that the takeover has been blocked on competition grounds, if they do sell the shares, it won't be to Ryanair.
    But didn't the government get a pass on competition stickies when the bust came i.e. to prop up the economy, or was this get out of jail free card only for the financial institutions.

Anyway, I think Brian will call in the IMF before he would sell the Meany O'Leary.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McEavelli View Post
    There is zero chance of the Government selling to O'Leary. No one (outside of Ryanair & associates) in the Irish Aviation industry sees anything other than catastrophe in the event of Ryanair getting Aer Lingus.
    Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll lay my cards on the table and confess to being a fully paid-up O'Leary afficionado. His radio interviews make better listening than Monty Python. Who else is going to verbalise on the airwaves all those dark thoughts you harbour about politicians and union beards?

Why shouldn't he have Aer Lingus? What the hell does the Government want with a large chunk of an airline? A government's job is to run a country which, as we've seen, it does very badly. The old tale of wanting to have an influential role in Aer Lingus policy was trashed when the airline decided to move its Heathrow flights from Shannon to Belfast. Meanwhile, Shannon, in the grip of the DAA, is slowly expiring because the State has lost interest in it but won't give it the freedom to compete with its big brother on the east coast.

The less any government, civil servant or union has to do with private business the better. They have enough to be getting on with, sweeping up the ashes of the burned-out economy.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arracht View Post
    A long haul Ryanair flight - wasn't that one of the levels in Dantes Inferno?
    But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"