Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 123 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Defence Review

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UK Defence Review

Wow, Her Majesty's Navy is being given a right kick in the stern. The Ark Royal is for the knackers yard almost straight away and the surface fleet is being cut from 24 to 19 as 4000 personnel get the chop.

The Harrier is being scrapped and the Nimrod has been cancelled. Some RAF bases are to close. The Army will lose 7000 personnel and 100 tanks and artillery pieces are to be scrapped.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11570593

Wonder what army the west brits will rush to join now.
    Who exactly are the best marching band in the World

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the brits will always find a few shillings to pay for their irish cannon fodder for their imperial adventures around the world.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Harrier gave great service particularly in the Falklands War seeing off the best of the Argentine air force - of course the Argentinian aircraft carrier returned to port rather than risk the same fate as the battleship Belgrano sunk by a British sub which meant that Argentine pilots flying from mainland bases could only remain over the battlefield for a few minutes at a time which gave the Harrier pilots an 'unfair' advantage.
    Still great jet none the less.
    Shame to see it go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-t3gFA9JI]YouTube - Sea Harrier in the Falklands/Malvinas War[/ame]

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is already a thread in UK dealing with this.(I started it here, and it was correctly moved).

[QUOTE=gijoe;3092394]Wow, Her Majesty's Navy is being given a right kick in the stern. The Ark Royal is for the knackers yard almost straight away and the surface fleet is being cut from 24 to 19 as 4000 personnel get the chop.

wouldnt get too depressed, they are building two super carriers and have built the 6 most expensive air defence destroyers in the world, each capable of taking on 60 air targets at the same time, remind me how many countrys can put 60 aircraft up at the same time? 1 usa 2 uk at a stretch 3 russia for 1 day a year maybe china on a very special occaision

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Maguire View Post
    Wonder what army the west brits will rush to join now.
    any opportunity eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Blackadder View Post

wouldnt get too depressed, they are building two super carriers and have built the 6 most expensive air defence destroyers in the world, each capable of taking on 60 air targets at the same time, remind me how many countrys can put 60 aircraft up at the same time? 1 usa 2 uk at a stretch 3 russia for 1 day a year maybe china on a very special occaision
    You forgot to list the French, I am building up my stock of popcorn for that game of handbags.
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

[QUOTE=redtoothclaw;3092457]The Harrier gave great service particularly in the Falklands War seeing off the best of the Argentine air force - of course the Argentinian aircraft carrier returned to port rather than risk the same fate as the battleship Belgrano sunk by a British sub which meant that Argentine pilots flying from mainland bases could only remain over the battlefield for a few minutes at a time which gave the Harrier pilots an 'unfair' advantage.
    Still great jet none the less.
    Shame to see it go.

agree but we are still using them, USMC sempler fi! I can see the logic to what the brits have done, they built moun pleasant, they are building a runway on st helena so they can put fly fast jets staight to mount pleasent from the uk via gib, acension. the $ saved will pay for a pair of carriers that would allow them to park an airwing (the two carriers max air group) would be upto maybe 100 5g units, + one or two small helicopter carriers oceanic etc with their version of AH64,unless they are planning to invade the US, or its within 500 miles of PRC or Russia who would be able to stop them?, that is more than the air power of africa or south america, couple that with their TLAM armed ssn fleet and their new air defence destroyer, the worlds 2nd best amphibious fleet and it starts to look like one hell of a battle group...dumb they didnt build cvns, its goin to be one heluva gas bil!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post
    You forgot to list the French, I am building up my stock of popcorn for that game of handbags.
    I didnt forget!

Page 1 of 123 123451151101 ... LastLast