According to various reports, the Royal navy will be slashed today. Of 2 new aircraft carriers being built, one will be mothballed immediately after completion, and probably sold within 3 years. It was decided that it would cost more to cancel than build. Oh and the aircraft carrier won't have any jets to fly off it anyway.
Another current carrier will be scrapped, and the surface fleet will be reduced to under 20 ships.
Thousands of MoD staff willalso be cut.
Harriers will also be scrapped.
According to the BBC
- The Ark Royal, launched in 1985, will be decommissioned almost immediately, rather than in 2014, as previously planned
- The construction of two new aircraft carriers, HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales, will go ahead, as it would cost more to cancel the projects than proceed with them
- The navy will lose 4,000 personnel and its surface fleet will be cut from 24 to 19
- Some squadrons of RAF Tornado jets will be saved - although some air force bases will close
- The Army will have to cut up to 7,000 or so personnel over the next five years, and lose 100 tanks and heavy artillery
And this after weekend reports that the MoD will be saved from the worst of cuts.
I wasn't sure whether to put this in Defence or UK