Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuana Deaths???

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Marijuana Deaths???

I just recently searched on google for information on marijuana deaths... To my astonishment i couldn't find any statistics.

Can anyone ,who is either for or against marijuana, provide any information regarding the death statistics for marijuana use in Ireland?

I can however find plenty of statistics on road deaths, work related deaths, alcohol related deaths, tobacco related deaths, other illegal drug related deaths and prescription drug deaths etc...

It's curious when an awful lot of people believe marijuana to be one of the most harmful illegal (plants) "drugs" there is.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's curious when an awful lot of people believe marijuana to be one of the most harmful illegal (plants) "drugs" there is.
    It's not curious at all, unless you think fatalities are the only harmful effect. (Why do you have "drugs" in inverted commas?)

As Professor Robin Murray, senior consultant psychiatrist at London’s Maudsley Hospital, recently put it: ‘Cannabis is now one of the biggest problems on inpatient psychiatric wards in England’s major cities.’

A clear danger from cannabis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O'Brian View Post

As Professor Robin Murray, senior consultant psychiatrist at London’s Maudsley Hospital, recently put it: ‘Cannabis is now one of the biggest problems on inpatient psychiatric wards in England’s major cities.’
    [/URL]
    Yes , you can catch 'reefer madness' from as little as one joint apparently .
    Before you castigate me for making light of mental illness , I accuse you of trivialising it by using it in a shaky argument against cannabis .

That quote from the professor sounds more political than scientific . 'Cannabis' is a mental illness now ?
    Last edited by TonyBird; 19th October 2010 at 03:42 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O'Brian View Post
    It's not curious at all, unless you think fatalities are the only harmful effect. (Why do you have "drugs" in inverted commas?)

A clear danger from cannabis
    and we could exchange links all day, except the question asked was "Can anyone ,who is either for or against marijuana, provide any information regarding the death statistics for marijuana use in Ireland?".

Chief drug adviser David Nutt sacked over cannabis stance | Politics | The Guardian reports the same guy in your article 1 day later...

and his successor has a different opinion to you also...

http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n48659612/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes , you can catch 'reefer madness' from as little as one joint apparently .
    Professor Murray doesn't say that.

Before you castigate me for making light of mental illness , I accuse you of trivialising it by using it in a shaky argument against cannabis .
    I don't see how pointing to some of the ongoing research on the links between schizophrenia and cannabis use (long-term use, not 'one joint') is trivialising anything.

It's true that we cannot say for definite that cannabis use causes schizophrenia, yet in the 1940's many doctors researching the harmful effects of tobacco use gave up smoking before the proof about the harm of smoking was established in the 1960's.

Here is more of the ongoing research from Professor Murray:

"Day in, day out, I was going to either my outpatient clinic or my inpatient unit and we'd have a patient who would do brilliantly," he says. If they did particularly well, the patients would be allowed to go out for the evening, to enjoy themselves. "The next morning [they] would be psychotic, hearing voices and quite deluded again." And whenever this happened, there was usually one main suspect: the patient had probably smoked cannabis the night before.
    It was these concerns that led Murray, a professor of psychiatry at the Maudsley hospital in south London and one of Britain's leading experts on mental health, to carry out investigations into the relationship between cannabis and mental health. What he found was that cannabis almost always exacerbated symptoms of psychosis in people who were already suffering from (or had a family history of) any mental health problems.

"We studied people who recently developed [schizophrenia], then followed them up after four years," says Murray of the initial studies. "The people who were taking cannabis when we first met them and continued taking cannabis were doing three times worse than people who had never taken cannabis. In particular, they still had some of the positive symptoms of schizophrenia."

At that point, Murray began to look deeper. "It's a bit like saying, 'Well, if people with chronic bronchitis smoke, this is not good for their chronic bronchitis'," he says."Then you begin to think, could smoking contribute to developing chronic bronchitis in the first place? Then we started thinking about the question of whether cannabis could contribute to the onset of [psychosis]."
    In November 2002, Arsenault's team published her results in the highly respected British Medical Journal.

"The conclusion was that, if you took cannabis at age 18, you were about 60% more likely to go psychotic. But if you started by the time you were 15, then the risk was much greater, around 450%," says Murray.
    Last edited by Sean O'Brian; 19th October 2010 at 04:05 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and his successor has a different opinion to you also...
    Your link says that Professor Iversen scoffed at the notion of the exaggerated potency of so-called "skunk" cannabis, which the press likes to tout as some kind of super-strong form of cannabis, which it isn't. He doesn't contradict anything said by Professor Murray.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cannabis is not to be taken lightly particularly by minors . . However its prohibition is a total joke and a failure . I guess we will have to agree to disagree . This argument is just old and tedious at this stage . Thats not a slight on your goodself btw . Im talking in general , not about your posts.
    Goodnight.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair enough. Night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think if you are genuinely interested and wish to learn about the cannabis debate there is everything you need to know on threads here about it. The final consensus when the facts were looked at was that cannabis is pretty much harmless, any links between mental illness were not helped at all by the revelations that the studies were carried out in mental hospitals on the patients suffering from various psychosis already.

The real problem is not the tiny possibility that cannabis can cause psychosis but the multi billion industry that fosters a criminal underground for a recreational drug that has not and will not be reduced by stiffer laws and penalties.

The only logical thing to do is legalize it.

I think it was Upton Sinclair who said "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's pretty hard, if even possible, to actually overdose on marijuana if smoked. Most marijuana related deaths will be as a result of lung cancer. There may also be some suicides because of mental health issues it causes.

But with both it's almost impossible to prove the level of connection. Most marijuana smokers smoke tobacco too, so where does the lung cancer blame go. Are people with underlying mental health issues more likely to smoke marijuana meaning that there is no causal effect?
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast