Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Lisbon 3 is coming: Sarkozy and Merkel agree treaty changes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Lisbon 3 is coming: Sarkozy and Merkel agree treaty changes

Here we go again. Sarkozy and Merkel have agreed treaty changes, including automatic sanctions for failing to meet deficit targets etc. It looks as if the referendum will have to take place prior to 2012.

You have to wonder did they give two seconds thought that the one country that has to ratify these changes by referendum will be the long odds on favourite to be the first defaulter! I can see a breaking of the political consensus in Ireland on Europe in this referendum. For example, I cannot see the Unions going along with it. This is going to make politics in the next of couple of years extra spicy.

Sarkozy backs Merkel on economic reform - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 19, 2010

Two Words : Article 48. The "Self-amending" clause. It generated a lot of debate during Lisbon 1 & 2. I suppose we get to see if it is that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This agreement, still subject to the approval of EU leaders at a summit next week, can be introduced without any changes to the European treaties.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    Here we go again. Sarkozy and Merkel have agreed treaty changes, including automatic sanctions for failing to meet deficit targets etc. It looks as if the referendum will have to take place prior to 2012.

You have to wonder did they give two seconds thought that the one country that has to ratify these changes by referendum will be the long odds on favourite to be the first defaulter! I can see a breaking of the political consensus in Ireland on Europe in this referendum. For example, I cannot see the Unions going along with it. This is going to make politics in the next of couple of years extra spicy.

Sarkozy backs Merkel on economic reform - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 19, 2010
    Yes to Jobs
    Yes to Europe
    Yes to Lisbon MkIII (if applicable)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanGalway View Post
    Two Words : Article 48. The "Self-amending" clause. It generated a lot of debate during Lisbon 1 & 2. I suppose we get to see if it is that.
    Do you know what Article 48 says?
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That dog ain't gonna hunt..... Unless he can be tempted out of his kennel with around €120 billion of ECB cash for 30 year bonds with a 0.5% vig, then maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mr Sarkozy and Dr Merkel said it would be necessary to revise the Lisbon Treaty before 2013 in order to allow for a “permanent and robust mechanism” to punish states for excessive deficits.

Sanctions for serious breaches could include the suspension of a member’s voting rights, something requiring treaty change.

The necessary amendment to the treaties should be adopted and ratified by member states in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements in due time before 2013,” they said.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting bit at the end, before everyone here hyperventilates too much:

Sanctions for serious breaches could include the suspension of a member’s voting rights, something requiring treaty change.
    “The necessary amendment to the treaties should be adopted and ratified by member states in accordance with their respective constitutional requirements in due time before 2013,” they said.
    The other interesting thing is that had such rules been in place since the early days of the Euro, we wouldn't be in half the mess we're now in.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    For ease of reference .......

Article 48

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Does anyone know what it says? I had a read last year, its hateful. Nevertheless, there was a train of thought that it could be used to get around future Referenda. Looks like a test of that assertion is looming.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast