Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: We're broke - me hole! Tax some of this and leave the little lad alone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default We're broke - me hole! Tax some of this and leave the little lad alone

I was just taking a peek at the CSO website to see if anything interesting came up. I was kinda shocked to see this report that Irish residents hold 1.25 trillion (yes, trillion) in foreign equities, bonds and other securities. Even a 1% tax on that would raise 12.5 bilion, more than enough to get us on the right path.

We are still a very wealthy country - the only reason that the hairshirt line is being taken is that the wealthy do not really want to contribute. As usual the middle income earners, and the people who fell for the lie that they were wealthy (from the crumbs from the top table) are expected to pay.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tax the rich??? Are you trying to turn Ireland into North Korea???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

On top of that the waste of money by the entire government apparatus could only be described as of intergalatic proportions. There is so much fat to be cut, we would certainly have to build a new sewerage system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish residents doesnt mean 'Irish people' as in Mick and Biddy up the road.

It means institutions resident in Ireland for tax purposes.

Taxing them, therefore, would remove said purpose for them being here and it would all disappear at the push of a button.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by needle_too View Post
    Taxing them, therefore, would remove said purpose for them being here and it would all disappear at the push of a button.
    You're such a killjoy. The OP has found a magical money tree!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    Tax the rich??? Are you trying to turn Ireland into North Korea???
    But isn't that what you want Cael? (I know you were being sarcastic. It was just the shock of you saying something like that.)

Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    You're such a killjoy. The OP has found a magical money tree!
    No, just making the point that there's still fantastic wealth out there, and I like most of you out there are expected to pay to preserve it for someone elses benefit.

Add in the overseas properties held by Irish residents, and money in foreign bank accounts, the amount of wealth held overseas by Irish people is enormous.

Why shouldn't the beneficiaries of the boom pay something? Some portion of it should be contributed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j26 View Post
    No, just making the point that there's still fantastic wealth out there, and I like most of you out there are expected to pay to preserve it for someone elses benefit.
    The trouble is there isn't fantastic wealth out there, and plucking meaningless statistics in support of your case won't make it appear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Odd figures there. The UK second largest holding (possibly) but only 25% less than the US ? does not sound right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is an overly simplistic analysis. That money is not held or owned by Irish people. A foreign MNC resident here could just as easily bugger off if you tried to steal their cash. We're broke alright.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast