Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Administration Vs Sovereignty

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Administration Vs Sovereignty

When was the last time a sovereign decision was made in Ireland - or in most other European countries either? It seem that administration has taken the place of sovereignty for most states. We are constantly told that we have to "impress" the markets, or not frighten them anyway. We can organise ourselves to place ourselves better in the eyes of "the markets," but, there is never any question whatsoever about making a sovereign decision to change our way of life completely. To upset the markets would be considered a worse crime and example of sheer insanity than upsetting God was in the middle ages. At lest heresy was thinkable in the middle ages. Upsetting the markets is utterly unthinkable today.

Many discussions are held on RTÉ current affairs. But, never will you see a serious discussion on getting rid of the capitalist system and adopting a better way of doing things. Private property will NEVER be questioned. In short, no sovereign process of decision making will EVER be engaged in - but merely administering the status quo to better facilitate the markets. Sovereignty is, in effect, considered impossible.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say that the Eight Amendment to the Irish Constitution was the last truly independent action of this state, going firmly against the dominant Anglo-American liberal cultural orthodoxy that Ireland otherwise follows in every respect. There was also, of course, the 'No to Nice' and 'No Lisbon' referendum results but since these were not accepted as is they don't ultimately count for anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's begging the question a bit isn't it Cael. I would say that each election is a sovereign decision not only on which party we choose to represent us in running the country but also as a vote of confidence in the system itself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How should a "sovereign decision" be defined then? We have elections every 5 years where pretty much anyone can stand. Those people then vote on decisions of national importance.

The country makes those decisions all the time. What you mean is that you don't like those decisions. The solution's simple. Stand for election next time. Or support someone who's going to stand. SWP, SF whomever. Convince people of the merits of your position. Then if enough people agree with you, you can be in power and make the decisions.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O'Brian View Post
    I would say that the Eight Amendment to the Irish Constitution was the last truly independent action of this state, going firmly against the dominant Anglo-American liberal cultural orthodoxy that Ireland otherwise follows in every respect. There was also, of course, the 'No to Nice' and 'No Lisbon' referendum results but since these were not accepted as is they don't ultimately count for anything.
    'ultimately count for anything'

I think you'll end up eating those words.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bebsaboo View Post
    That's begging the question a bit isn't it Cael. I would say that each election is a sovereign decision not only on which party we choose to represent us in running the country but also as a vote of confidence in the system itself.
    Hardly, a chara. Do you believe that people have a real choice in elections? Exercising sovereignty means having a real choice. When the main parties only offer to administer the already existing status quo, then there is no choice. As for a vote of confidence in the system itself, in most elections, more people choose not to vote than to vote. And, needless to say, we had the disgusting spectacles of the results of the Nice and Lisbon referenda being simply dismissed as the "wrong" answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    How should a "sovereign decision" be defined then? We have elections every 5 years where pretty much anyone can stand. Those people then vote on decisions of national importance.

The country makes those decisions all the time. What you mean is that you don't like those decisions. The solution's simple. Stand for election next time. Or support someone who's going to stand. SWP, SF whomever. Convince people of the merits of your position. Then if enough people agree with you, you can be in power and make the decisions.
    Sh!t or get off the toilet
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post

The country makes those decisions all the time. What you mean is that you don't like those decisions.
    Isnt that the point. When the voters dare to vote the "wrong" way, their decision is simply dismissed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    Isnt that the point. When the voters dare to vote the "wrong" way, their decision is simply dismissed.
    So should we only ever have one vote on anything? So for instance should we let FF remain in power indefinitely? If you dislike the EU so much, you can stand on an anti-EU ticket. You, and your friends can get elected, then put it to the country in a referendum to leave.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Elections have become a contest for muggers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast