Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Pentagon braces for new Iraq war Wikileaks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Pentagon braces for new Iraq war Wikileaks

BBC News - Pentagon braces for new Iraq war Wikileaks

The US military has assembled a 120-member team to prepare for the expected publication of some 400,000 Iraq war documents on the Wikileaks website.

The documents are thought to concern battle activity, Iraqi security forces and civilian casualties.
    There may possibly maybe be a problem in the Data Protection dept in the military.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So basically it will uncover a lot of war crimes committed by u.s. Forces in Iraq, and the pentagon is afraid?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Probably not. It'll more than likely come out with lots of details on civilian deaths though. The US has been terrible at compiling and publishing details on civilian deaths, so quite frankly they've got this coming.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If there is nothing to hide then the us should just post the files online for everyone to see.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieB View Post
    They also probably fear that it will put the identity of their current or former informants at risk.
    It almost certainly will, as well as operational info relating to locations. WikiL tend to redact names etc, but they're not professionals, something will slip through. I'd have more sympathy for the States if A: This wasn't the umpteenth time they'd allowed a huge data breach and B: They'd been more forthcoming with the statistics on Iraqi dead in the past.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't they trust their data with low ranking military officials? That are also young?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TaxHavenSite View Post
    So basically it will uncover a lot of war crimes committed by u.s. Forces in Iraq, and the pentagon is afraid?
    The OP also said "Iraqi security forces". So the files might very well contain information that could undo the painfully slow progress that has been made between dispirit Iraqi political groups in forming a government and steming the violence in Iraq. The effect the publication of classified US intel could have on Iraqi stability and inter-Iraqi co-operation should not be underestimated. Amongst the documents may be as much 'opinion' as fact, but both opinions and facts could be enough to spark another round of civilian bloodletting and revenge killings on the streets of Baghdad.