Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you want George Lee's BlackBerry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Do you want George Lee's BlackBerry?

You only need to ask and he will give it to you, assuming you get to him first. Let us know how you get on.

The Oireachtas has an unusual concentration of people who lose mobile phones, upgrade at the earliest opportunity, or who run their available expense allowances up to the max. A brother of the Tánaiste is said to have a handy income stream from keeping his Oireachtas customers satisfied.

Mark Tighe and Stephen Dunne tell us how much that costs us in the Sunday Times today. It is, even in an era of eye-popping stories of how many public figures' hands are picking the public purse, well, eye-popping.

Many are named and costed, but the most appealing quote in the article is from the short-serving TD George Lee. The Oireachtas hasn't bothered its corporate backside to require former members to give back the publicly funded phones when they exit LH. Mr Lee was funded for three mobiles at a total cost of €647 (including €250 insurance) over his eight months. One of the three was a Blackberry linked to an Oireachtas email system that he no longer uses. George Lee is open to offers:

'I don't think there is much of a market for second-hand phones but if anyone wants that BlackBerry it's lying around and they can have it'.
    Last edited by He3; 17th October 2010 at 10:04 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was the contract put out to tender?

There is a lot of corruption going on.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    You only need to ask, and he will give it to you. Assuming you get to him first. Let us know how you get on.

The Oireachtas has an unusual concentration of people who lose mobile phones, upgrade at the earliest opportunity, or who run their available expense allowances up to the max. A brother of the Tánaiste is said to have a handy income stream from keeping his Oireachtas customers satisfied.

Mark Tighe and Stephen Dunne tell us how much that costs us in the Sunday Times today. It is, even in an era of eye-popping stories of how many public figures' hands are picking the public purse, well, eye-popping.

Many are named and costed, but the most appealing quote in the article is from the short-serving TD George Lee. The Oireachtas hasn't bothered its corporate backside to require former members to give back the publicly funded phones when they exit LH. Mr Lee was funded for three mobiles at a total cost of €647 (including €250 insurance) over his eight months. One of the three was a Blackberry linked to an Oireachtas email system that he no longer uses. George Lee is open to offers:

'I don't think there is much of a market for second-hand phones but if anyone wants that BlackBerry it's lying around and they can have it'.

Did it occur to the public-spirited Mr Lee, that scourge of government waste, to return his phones and BlackBerry to the office that issued them when he resigned?

P.S. Is he still using the free parking space in the Dail?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, the article is sure eye-popping. I liked the Ned O'Keeffe quote

The €750 will never compensate you, its just a grant towards costs

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

George not as honest as he pretends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

David Norris is said to be the most inexpensive of the phone claimants with just €169. By contrast John Hanafin, also a Senator and brother of Mary, has cost us €3337 since 2004. Norris says

'I don't believe in bleeding the State for everything I can get'
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's a scam. There's no other word for it. The price has stayed static for the last few years, despite phones dropping in price considerably.

Put aside the idiocy of this not being a tendered process where all TDs get a blackberry each which is managed centrally.

A top of the range blackberry costs less that €350. There's no excuse for this stuff at all.

It's just one of those very typically Irish things. You're genuinely unsure if it's corruption or simple incompetence that's the problem. This is something someone with Leaving Cert business studies could resolve in less than a week.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    You only need to ask, and he will give it to you. Assuming you get to him first. Let us know how you get on.

I saw that as well, and considered putting in a request just to see what his response would be.
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It's a scam. There's no other word for it. The price has stayed static for the last few years, despite phones dropping in price considerably.

Put aside the idiocy of this not being a tendered process where all TDs get a blackberry each which is managed centrally.

A top of the range blackberry costs less that €350. There's no excuse for this stuff at all.

It's just one of those very typically Irish things. You're genuinely unsure if it's corruption or simple incompetence that's the problem. This is something someone with Leaving Cert business studies could resolve in less than a week.

It's only taxpayers' money. Why should they bother trying to get value for it? It's too much trouble. Besides: "it's not my job".

You'll find they are a lot more careful with their own money.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I definitely don't want it, I have one and I hate the dame thing.

(But it does take great pics)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast