Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: British flocking to Ireland to avail of generous social welfare

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default British flocking to Ireland to avail of generous social welfare

As someone who deals with social wefare queries on a regular basis, it is now very apparent to me that people are returning from England to avail of our social welfare system. They are predominantly sons/daughters of Irish emigrants who are coming here to try and avail of rent allowance and free childcare etc.

If Britain cuts its welfare rates etc, then we will HAVE TO follow suit!!
    Habitual residency clause doesnt seem to deter these people. They are willing to move here and then try and get social welfare!

(It seems that the majority of Eastern europeans moved when work dried up, but the Brits are moving in!)

The next time you hear of non-nationals claiming welfare, think London and not Warsaw!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    As someone who deals with social wefare queries on a regular basis, it is now very apparent to me that people are returning from England to avail of our social welfare system. They are predominantly sons/daughters of Irish emigrants who are coming here to try and avail of rent allowance and free childcare etc.

Habitual residency clause doesnt seem to deter these people. They are willing to move here and then try and get social welfare!

(It seems that the majority of Eastern europeans moved when work dried up, but the Brits are moving in!)

The next time you hear of non-nationals claiming welfare, think London and not Warsaw!!!
    Tony I don't like the tone of your post. To even suggest that soemthing is better in Ireland than England is an athema to the self loathing, self hating west Brit so called Irish people on this site.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You don't back up any of your claims with a source.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

UB UK 16-24 £51.85 UB Eire €100.00 : UB UK 25+ £65.45 Eire €196.00
    Last edited by Miserable eFFer; 17th October 2010 at 08:10 PM.

Yeah thats why the statistics show that there is a net outflow of English people on SW from this country.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry but what do you mean they are returning from England? Do you mean they are Irish and returning home? But then you already said they were British so not too sure what you mean on that one? And if we have a habitual residency clause then how are they entitled to social welfare? Or is it that the HRC views the UK as Ireland in effect - an extension of the CTA more or less?

No, I don't see why Ireland should automatically follow suit should, when, the Tories cut social welfare in the UK. As you said we alredy have the HRC. If it's not being enforced properly then that's a totally seperate issue but that doesn't mean we reduce our levels of social welfare.

As far as I know British people have always been able to come to Ireland and claim the dole, just as Irish people have always been able to go to the UK and claim the dole. So, I gues the HRC doesn't apply but would stand corrected on that. If it did become an issue then yes, the government could simply tighten the regs or actually enforce the HRC - problem solved I guess? Again, maybe someone can correct me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    Yeah thats why the statistics show that there is a net outflow of English people on SW from this country.
    Ah yes... 'statistics' again.

Do show.

Quote Originally Posted by vanla sighs View Post
    Sorry but what do you mean they are returning from England? Do you mean they are Irish and returning home? But then you already said they were British so not too sure what you mean on that one?
    Doesnt matter whether they're Irish or half-Irish or whatever.
    All UK citizens are entitled to benefits in Ireland; as all Irish are in the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miserable eFFer View Post
    UB UK £58.00 UB Eire €196.00
    I heard recently that a couple with one or two kids in the UK actually gets MORE in social welfare - and will still get more even with the Tory cuts - than a couple with one or two kids on the dole in Ireland. There are far more secondary benefits etc available to someone on the dole in the UK than there are in Ireland. From what I can recall the figure was about £25,000, it's less in Ireland. Now that is what I read (possibly on p.ie but don't have the sources to back it up before you ask, lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by needle_too View Post
    Doesnt matter whether they're Irish or half-Irish or whatever.
    All UK citizens are entitled to benefits in Ireland; as all Irish are in the UK.
    So the HRC doesn't apply to British nationals then? Well, simple way to fix that - apply it. But ideally wait and see how things develop, if there is major welfare tourism happening then yeah, block that avenue. It would also affect Irish people in the UK though. Still, I'd rather it was actually applied before social welfare was reduced simply because the Tories were doing it.

It would be lunacy for ANY Irish government to try and reduce social welfare to UK levels - it wouldn't work, it wouldn't wash, it would simply be IMPOSSIBLE. And rightly so. You must remember that those under 21 or 22 who are on the dole in Ireland are already on UK levels more or less (and remember the UK is a hell of a lot cheaper than Ireland) Now that in itself was a despicable act of cowardice by FF but to try and extend it another 400,000 - that's one sure fire way to have hundreds of thousands on the streets before the ink is dry. This is all theoretical though, no government are going to do that. It looks as though social welfare will be reduced, which is wrong but it will not fall to UK levels which means there will always be an attraction of Irish SW rates over UK SW rates. But that has been the case for years and years - haven't seen the British hordes at the gates............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You maybe right, you may be wrong

- but there is no way the majority of the Osties have gone home

- most of them are still here.

Indeed thousands more have moved here this year alone.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast