Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EU holding a gun to our heads

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default EU holding a gun to our heads

The lead story in the Sunday Times paints a somewhat dismal picture of the EU's attitude to Irish democracy - no surprise really following Lisbon, I suppose. Basically, rather than backing the obvious solution - that Ireland should have an election to make sure the Irish people get to choose how we want to solve the problem, they're weighing in behind FF and warning the opposition leaders that they need to be seen to support the 2010 - 2014 budget. I also suspect that once a 4 year budget is "agreed" FF will arrive at the conclusion that it's their "duty" to go the constitutionally allowed 7 year term to deliver the consensus budget, and buy their way to 2014 by offering the back benchers and independents another guarenteed 2 years in office with the slim chance of a turn-around in the meantime and another 2 years to re-write history.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Source?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We only have to do what the EU insists if we continue to borrow stupid amounts of money. We've destroyed our economy all on our own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The divil you know, FF are seen as Vichy collaborators to wring Ireland's neck for them.

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dohville View Post
    Source?
    Sunday Times - "The EU has warned the government and opposition parties that there must be political consensus on budget measures .

IMO such a budget becomes "our budget" and may be percieved by some as a re-newed mandate for FF to stay in power when it is anything but.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Read it. The fupping cheek of them. Will Labour and FG toe the line though?

It was followed later on with an article about how, even with consensus across all political parties, the markets could return and demand more cuts. Basically a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of piece.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    The lead story in the Sunday Times paints a somewhat dismal picture of the EU's attitude to Irish democracy - no surprise really following Lisbon, I suppose. Basically, rather than backing the obvious solution - that Ireland should have an election to make sure the Irish people get to choose how we want to solve the problem, they're weighing in behind FF and warning the opposition leaders that they need to be seen to support the 2010 - 2014 budget. I also suspect that once a 4 year budget is "agreed" FF will arrive at the conclusion that it's their "duty" to go the constitutionally allowed 7 year term to deliver the consensus budget, and buy their way to 2014 by offering the back benchers and independents another guarenteed 2 years in office with the slim chance of a turn-around in the meantime and another 2 years to re-write history.
    Wrong on two fronts. Firstly, the EU aren't holding a gun to our heads because of their attitude to democracy, but we've put ourselves in the position where ANYONE who might lend us money can hold a gun to our heads - because we're effectively bankrupt, having made a complete dog's breakfast of managing our money.
    Secondly, this Dail can't run for 7 years - it was elected under the existing law, which limits it to a 5-year term. Even if legislation was passed tomorrow extending the Dail term, in line with the constitutional provision, to seven years, that legislation would only take effect in the NEXT Dail.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    Read it. The fupping cheek of them. Will Labour and FG toe the line though?

It was followed later on with an article about how, even with consensus across all political parties, the markets could return and demand more cuts. Basically a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of piece.
    Shock horror - people who lend money won't lend money unless they feel they'll get it back. What's new there?
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post

I saw that story.

Ollie Rehn, I think, was quoted saying that Ireland must regain the confidence of the financial markets-and we can only do that by making savage cuts supported by all political parties.

It seems the unspoken agenda here is that the EU do not want Ireland to tap the EFSF bailout money. If Ireland got the money then it would start a domino effect with the other PIGS lining up to get it also. The euro would lose all credibility with so much bailout happening.

So instead Ireland will be forced to make huge cuts supported by all political parties. And then we will see if the markets are still willing to lend in the new year.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Wrong on two fronts. Firstly, the EU aren't holding a gun to our heads because of their attitude to democracy, but we've put ourselves in the position where ANYONE who might lend us money can hold a gun to our heads - because we're effectively bankrupt, having made a complete dog's breakfast of managing our money.
    Secondly, this Dail can't run for 7 years - it was elected under the existing law, which limits it to a 5-year term. Even if legislation was passed tomorrow extending the Dail term, in line with the constitutional provision, to seven years, that legislation would only take effect in the NEXT Dail.
    Jesus, Ireland must owe Ollie a fortune so.

We can't ship up so will FG ship us out of the € or continue to toe the line?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast