Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Big fall in support for a United Ireland: RedC/Sunday Times poll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Big fall in support for a United Ireland: RedC/Sunday Times poll

According to today's Sunday Times there has been a big fall in support for a United Ireland in the Republic over the last 4 years. The poll was conducted by RedC on October 4-6th.

57% favoured a United Ireland; 22% were against; and, 21% Don't Know.

The number in favour at 57% is down from 80% in a 2006 RedC poll.

Support was consistent across all demographic groups and regions of the country although it was notably higher among younger people (63%) and the Unemployed (73%). I suspect the higher young and unemployed support can be explained by a higher support level for SF among those groups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In 2006 we were still intoxicated by the celtic tiger.
    In 2010 people are more worried about putting food on the table or paying bills.
    Therefore national confidence isn't as high.

Are yo suggesting in your last sentence that only people who support a UI are SF supporters/voters?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder if the fall in support has anything to do with the lower exposure to Wolfe Tones "music" over the same period?
    Alexander Suvorov: "The bullet is a fool, the bayonet is a fine chap."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Ireland, UK, Earth, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would also say that support is well down in here in north, i would only vote for a united ireland if it economically beneficial which is def not the case now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post

Are yo suggesting in your last sentence that only people who support a UI are SF supporters/voters?
    Are you suggesting thats not the case?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise2 View Post
    Given that SF only get around 7% in elections it's quite clearly not.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post

Cop on. No I am not saying that. What I am saying is that the HIGHER levels of support among the young and unemployed could be explained by SF's higher level of support among those groups.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People in the South need the Border to avail of the cheap shopping. No surprise People in the Irish Republic do not want a United Ireland.

I'd also say that Southerns are embarrased of the situation they are in and somewhat red-faced that they gloated* during the Celtic Tiger of their success and looked down on the North as backward to some extent. (*I refer to a speech in Bank of Ireland HQ given to Northern Ireland business leaders and politicians)

Fianna Fail failed policies have done more damage to a United Ireland then any terriorist grouping or British occupation in the North

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise2 View Post
    Well yeah. Unless i missed the newsletter aren't FF and FG atleast paying lipservice to the idea.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    Cop on. No I am not saying that. What I am saying is that the HIGHER levels of support among the young and unemployed could be explained by SF's higher level of support among those groups.
    Easy now joe, atleast keep it civil 'til after the first page.

Fair enough i asked you to explain what you meant and you did. Thank you

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast