Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Labour party Dog Whistling

  1. #1

    Default Labour party Dog Whistling

    In politics, the term dog whistling - referring to a high-pitch whistle outside the audible range of humans - means using code words to send a message to a specific group, without offending a larger group who would find the message unacceptable, if they understood it.

    Senior Bush strategist Lee Atwater spoke about how he coached Bush to appeal to poor white racists without appearing to be racist himself:

    You start out in 1954 by saying, 'N1gger, n1gger, n1gger.' By 1968 you can't say 'n1gger' -- that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites ... saying, 'We want to cut this,' is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than 'N1gger, n1gger'.
    Source

    Listening to Ruairi Quinn this morning it was clear that he was deeply reluctant to say what he actually planned in government. It was put to him that the Labour bump in the polls was due to PS workers switching from FF to Labour, he said that PS workers were very strong FF supporters in the past. When it was put to him that they were switching support to Labour now, he repeatedly insisted that there was 'no evidence' of that. Unusual of politicians to minimise their political gains.

    This was tied in with a discussion of the Croke Park agreement. Quinn refused to comment on whether he supported it or not, but got in dig after dig about the deal not being implemented. Today Fine Gael have specified a 3-to-1 ratio of cuts to tax increases. Quinn was questioned on this, and again he refused to have an opinion on it, or to suggest an alternative.

    It seems clear to me that the Labour Party are dog whistling to their new support base, sending a signal that they will veto reforms in the PS, and hoping that the rest of the population won't notice. The real question is who are they misleading?
    Here's How, Ireland's political, social and current affairs podcast; Call the show on 076 603 5060 to record your contribution for the next show.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It seems that the jury is still out on this one, or does anyone care who takes over from FF.
    At the end of the day even FF supporters won't back FF next time round, fact of the matter is they have been to long in power and become a pain in the ass Party....

    As regards Labour they don't actually have to tell anyone what there going to promise, because everyone knows we're all going to have to take our pain, that we don't mind. The problem is FF hid all the facts about the wasted money and the people who abused the trust of the electorate..
    the train is nearing the Station and FF will have no option but to get off at the next stop and thats official....

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member LeDroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    In fairness, Labour are the political wing of the trade union movement so it's not going to shock anyone to see them in Govt protect the largest vested interest group in the State. It's like saying Sinn Fein will support the IRA.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I agree that there will be no shock to the Political world with a coalition of Lab and FG, I think it would be better for Gilmore to be Taoiseach for starters. That of course depends on the seating arrangement in the Dial. However, as I said we can all manage a bit of pain, FF need a one way ticket to hell and live there in misery instead of us putting up with their out of date Politics... It won't be long now!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member mmrebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In Araf
    Posts
    758
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolores Ibárruri View Post
    Big fan of spanish communism ?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kerry
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The silence of the Labour party on specific policies will be their downfall, Irish people will no longer buy a pig in the bag.Get the facts out and then we can make up our minds , left or right or a mishmass of both.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sunday Business Post Red C Poll;
    Fianna Fail 18% (Down 6%)
    Fine Gael 32% (Up 1%)
    Labour 27% ( up 4%)
    Sinn Fein 9% ( up 1%)
    Green Party 4% ( up 1%)
    Independents 10% ( up 1%)

    This is what the silence does for a party who shuts up and carry's on working for the people, up 4% to 27% nice one. Eamon your on target for Taoiseach.....

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    Listening to Ruairi Quinn this morning it was clear that he was deeply reluctant to say what he actually planned in government. It was put to him that the Labour bump in the polls was due to PS workers switching from FF to Labour, he said that PS workers were very strong FF supporters in the past. When it was put to him that they were switching support to Labour now, he repeatedly insisted that there was 'no evidence' of that. Unusual of politicians to minimise their political gains.
    It would seem more likely that he was saying that there's no evidence that the gains are from PS workers. Unless the polling companies record the occupation of those polled then he's obviously correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    This was tied in with a discussion of the Croke Park agreement. Quinn refused to comment on whether he supported it or not, but got in dig after dig about the deal not being implemented. Today Fine Gael have specified a 3-to-1 ratio of cuts to tax increases. Quinn was questioned on this, and again he refused to have an opinion on it, or to suggest an alternative.

    It seems clear to me that the Labour Party are dog whistling to their new support base, sending a signal that they will veto reforms in the PS, and hoping that the rest of the population won't notice. The real question is who are they misleading?
    So you reckon that Lab who didn't support PS workers over the pension levy, who didn't support the PS workers over the pay cut and who attacked PS workers for taking IA are actually somehow secretly supporting PS workers?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member LeDroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolores Ibárruri View Post
    Ah, yes, the dreaded unions. The people who gave us the weekend and an annual holiday.
    And benchmarking. And jobs for life unaccountability. And defined benefit pensions they don't fully contribute to. And. And.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bersouth View Post
    The silence of the Labour party on specific policies will be their downfall, Irish people will no longer buy a pig in the bag.Get the facts out and then we can make up our minds , left or right or a mishmass of both.
    Why does it matter what policies Lab have when our only demand of them is that they be ABFF?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •