Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Responsibility for outbreak of TB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Responsibility for outbreak of TB

Although no single person is responsible for any given outbreak of TB it would appear that some in the media would like a Witch hunt to begin and encourage a stigma to be placed on those who test positive for the illness.
    "AS many as 336 people have been screened for Tuberculosis, half of them twice, in an effort to identify who is behind an outbreak of the disease in a Cork primary school where 48 people have been infected"

" All 170 children who took part in the second round screening were offered the BCG vaccine. The vaccine was not routinely available to newborns in Cork city until two years ago, at odds with national HSE policy"

Read more: 336 screened to find who is behind TB outbreak | Irish Examiner

It makes great headlines and puts the fear of humiliation into young children and their families for no reason other than the newspapers prime directive.
    Welcome back to the 60s

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richie268 View Post
    Welcome back to the 60s
    Does this mean the return of 'showbands'

Give me TB anyday !

Come to think of it , Dickie Rock may have a lot to answer for .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBird View Post
    Does this mean the return of 'showbands'

Give me TB anyday !

Come to think of it , Dickie Rock may have a lot to answer for .
    Jokes aside for a minute as TB is no joke especially MDR-TB which is extremely hard to treat,
    MY point is the way the Jurno chose their wording.
    " in an effort to identify who is behind an outbreak"

I find the news paper in question guilty of promulgating the view that the spread of this disease was some kind of a plot and somebody is behind it cloak and daggers,

quote"336 screened to find who is behind TB outbreak"

I THINK WE HAVE REACHED A NEW LOW!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Local radio in Cork ‘identified’ the source of the TB outbreak and had the source ‘confirmed’ by HSE.
    Suddenly, a large carpet seemed to be found under which the report could be swept (if needed) to appease the PC brigade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jokes aside for a minute as TB is no joke especially MDR-TB which is extremely hard to treat,
    MY point is the way the Jurno chose their wording.
    " in an effort to identify who is behind an outbreak"

I find the news paper in question guilty of promulgating the view that the spread of this disease was some kind of a plot and somebody is behind it cloak and daggers,

quote"336 screened to find who is behind TB outbreak"

I THINK WE HAVE REACHED A NEW LOW!
    The fact of the matter is that the source must be identified. If we fail to identify the source then it will continue to be spread. TB is an airborne disease spread by inhalation of the contagion.

TB has killed thousands of people in the past.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    The fact of the matter is that the source must be identified. If we fail to identify the source then it will continue to be spread. TB is an airborne disease spread by inhalation of the contagion.

TB has killed thousands of people in the past.
    Yes it is the source or the host that needs to be identified not the
    "WHO IS BEHIND IT" as stated in the Examiner.
    I am just commentating on the media spin! and the affects it may have on those children and their families, because when their sputum tests positive and they see the headlines they may feel guilt for their existence and be burdened with a stigma that is no fault of their own as happened in the 60s to many a family in this Country thanks to ignorance.
    Last edited by richie268; 17th October 2010 at 10:21 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes it is the source or the host that needs to be identified not the
    "WHO IS BEHIND IT" as stated in the Examiner.
    I am just commentating on the media spin! and the affects it may have on those children and their families, because when their sputum tests positive and they see the headlines they may feel guilt for their existence and be burdened with a stigma that is no fault of their own as happened in the 60s to many a family in this Country thanks to ignorance.

While it is true that the source is obviously a "who", I agree the report is badly phrased, and implies the the "who" has some sort of moral culpability, when it may be some child who has not been vaccinated through no fault of his or her own.

However, I think the phraseology of the report is more likely to be the result of the usual journalistic ignorance than malice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    There are still cases of M bovis in Cork - which can be spread through food, though that is nothing like as common as it used to be.

Richie has a point - but the media are notoriously bad in presenting health issues.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politicians are to blame for allowing non EU nationals into the country without health screening.

Like I posted earlier; the source was identified, but to run with the story would have ensured that the PC brigade would bombard the local radio station with anti racist comment.

Better to waste taxpayer’s money looking for an answer that suits rather than deal with the real cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would it not make more sense to make entry into the state conditional on a medically certified all clear being submitted by those how are coming in? The other answer is to have health screening at points of entry. On way or the other though we pay. At least in the second scenario prevention and treatment would be budgeted for annually rather then sliced from existing and diminishing HSE resources pegged for other purposes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast