Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More suspect phone invoices - Ned O'Keeffe

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default More suspect phone invoices - Ned O'Keeffe

Well, it looks like all TD's should be looking over their shoulder. It seems that the MoS have exposed yet another member of our fine Government for alleged false invoices. (2 separate articles)

The ¿2k invoices that don't add up: TD and garage defend the receipts with no numbers... and wrong VAT date | Mail Online

The Cork TD had purchased three different car-phone kits between 2004 and 2009, and on the most recent invoice, for one such hands-free kit, the bill came to €737.53.
    The cost of the work to install a Bluetooth cradle, at €330, was more than the cost of the equipment itself at €319.81.
    Curious, the Irish Mail on Sunday contacted O’Keeffe’s car dealership, TR Motors, on Harold’s Cross Road, Dublin.
    A reporter posed as a customer interested in buying a Bluetooth kit for a Mercedes car.
    Asked if there would be labour costs to install such a system, an employee said: ‘No, no, it would be quick enough to pop in.’
    The accounts employee said he could find no invoice or payment for that amount on Mr O’Keeffe’s account.
    He told the MoS: ‘I don’t see that on the account, €737.53... there’s no amount of €737.53.’
    In order to double check that no mistake was being made, a second phone call to the accounts department confirmed that the work done could not have been paid for without appearing on the accounts system.
    The employee was clear. ‘Irrespective of if it be upstairs or downstairs it would still be on here... It would have to go on the account, it would be in the bank and the bank would reconcile it. It would have to go somewhere. All payments are on the account.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-receipts.html

FF TD's bogus phone claims: Former minister recevied expenses on foot of three irregular receipts

A senior Fianna Fáil TD has claimed mobile phone expenses using bogus invoices, the Irish Mail on Sunday can reveal.
    Former junior minister Ned O’Keeffe submitted three invoiced claims totalling €2,237.53 between 2006 and 2009.
    However none of the receipts filed under the TD Direct Purchase Scheme feature an invoice number, all appear to have the wrong VAT rate – and the garage’s own accounts department say that the Cork TD’s account shows no record of a transaction in September 2009 for which he claimed €737 from the Oireachtas.
    However our investigation has revealed that:
    None of the receipts displays an invoice number, even though the company’s accounts department has confirmed in all cases there should be such a number.
    The invoices use an incorrect VAT rate for goods and labour.
    One of the receipts bills €300 in labour charges, even though no labour is required to install the Bluetooth kit described.
    Just one of the invoices displays the firm’s VAT number.
    The garage’s own accounts department told an undercover MoS reporter that Mr O’Keeffe’s account with the firm shows no record of a transaction for €737 in September 2009 – even though that is what is claimed on one of his invoices.
    I actually would have thought the 2/3rd rule applied in this case, guess you learn something new every day.
    Last edited by Barnacle; 17th October 2010 at 05:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be taking assurances regarding accounts from motor dealers and phone fitters with a pinch of salt.
    It doesn't say much for the way they treat their customers that they discuss details of their accounts with third parties.
    And if that defines their moral compass, what faith do you have in their revelations?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are journalists allowed to pretend to be someone else? I didn't think they were. Pretty shocking stuff.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tánaiste's brother paid ¿10,000 of taxpayers' cash for supplying mobile phones to 12 Fianna Fáil members | Mail Online

A telecommunications firm owned by the Tánaiste’s brother has been paid almost €10,000 of taxpayers’ money for providing phones to Fianna Fáil members.
    Millennium Communications, based in Kilmainham, Co. Dublin, was paid the cash since 2003 thanks to a cosy arrangement whereby Fianna Fáil TDs and Senators use their generous mobile phones allowance there.
    The firm run by Kevin Coughlan, Mary Coughlan’s 42-year-old brother, also holds the contract to supply mobile phones to party staff.
    I'm sure its all above board.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-2383028.html

Indo mentions €15,000

Isn't it time that TDs Senators and the like were simply issued phones from government central purchasing - I'm sure that the government and its associated agencies and hangers-on are among the biggest users of mobile phone services in the state, and must? have negotiated preferential rates and discounts when they go to tender...

But then joined up thinking is as difficult as joined up writing for some.
    Last edited by Outlander; 17th October 2010 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    I'd be taking assurances regarding accounts from motor dealers and phone fitters with a pinch of salt.
    It doesn't say much for the way they treat their customers that they discuss details of their accounts with third parties.
    And if that defines their moral compass, what faith do you have in their revelations?
    Moral issues you say? What moral issues do the politicians have apart from money grabbing? I take all politicians waffle with copious amounts of salt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of two things must happen today if we are to avoid another Callely style game of hide and seek. Either O'Keeffe must make a plausible statement on these allegations or Cowen must make a statment demanding O'Keeffe respond to the allegations. If O'Keeffe fails to do so he must be suspended from the FF PP while an investigation takes place. I understand Cowen's majority is teetering on the brink but the Taoiseach must put Country before Party.

I think Cowen is due to speak at Bodenstown this afternoon. He should be asked to comment on this story.
    Last edited by LDF; 17th October 2010 at 12:06 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And Ned O Keeffe of Úna gan gúnna fame, describes himself as a traditional no nonsense FF old style Republican. And of course he kept it in the family- going to brother of scary Mary for his business.
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Cowen has any understanding of the mood of the country he should suspend O'Keeffe and call in the Gardai

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tell us more

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    And Ned O Keeffe of Úna gan gúnna fame, describes himself as a traditional no nonsense FF old style Republican. And of course he kept it in the family- going to brother of scary Mary for his business.
    Tell us more

next time this guy talks about efficiencies in the public service
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast