Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The loss of integrity-Garrett Fitzgerald in the Times 18/10/2010

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The loss of integrity-Garrett Fitzgerald in the Times 18/10/2010

Garrett the good has just penned what I think is his most important article I've yet read in the Times. I would urge anyone interested in The Republic, it's history, it's politics and it's future to read it.

He draws a clear distinction between the generation of modern politicians who followed those former revolutionaries who helped define the state by their engagement in democratic politics.

Significantly he recounts the moment when Sean MacEntee while dying, confessed his fears for the State because of what had happened to Fianna Fáil. His concern is the lack of civic responsibility displayed by the post revolutionary generation, a generation who regaled in scoundrels such as Haughey, Burke, Lawlor, Flynn, Lowry, Ahern etc.

The cleavage between those who helped build and found this country and those who sacked it, is an important historical deduction which he thinks sets the context for a regeneration of civic morality. I hope he's right.

On watching Seachtar na Cásca over the past few weeks I marvelled at the raw idealism, sacrifice and ambition of the signatories and in comparison despaired at what is offered by our modern politicians. I hope by 2016 that we may regain a path that will restore some integrity and honour in public life. Anything else will be a travesty.

Read Fitzgerald's article here

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I read it with great amusement - he quite forgot to mention the Irish Press business or that the selfless revolutionaries he eulogises were responsible for the clientelism and nepotism that did so much damage.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    I read it with great amusement - he quite forgot to mention the Irish Press business or that the selfless revolutionaries he eulogises were responsible for the clientelism and nepotism that did so much damage.
    Well said Cruimh.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read the top letter in the Times alongside it (Dublin to Perth). Makes you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fitzgerald is the ultimate in hypocrisy !! That man deliberately depressed and
    deflated this country and never once mentioned the basic economic term deflation. He deflected his true policies by handing over the country to what was known as the National Handlers and these proceeded to spend their time digging for scandals, pointless abortion referendum, pointless divorce referendum. They would talk about anything but the essential truth of what they were doing. Of course the clowns came to power on the back of the national debt and went ahead and doubled it !! Fitzgerald wouldnt know integrity if it jumped up and hit him in the puss !
    Oh, when Cowen came to power he laid it on the line about the economy. He made it clear tough times were ahead including at least a 12% drop in living standards. Cowen and FF have never shied away from the word deflation

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    deflated this country and never once mentioned the basic economic term deflation. He deflected his true policies by handing over the country to what was known as the National Handlers and these proceeded to spend their time digging for scandals, pointless abortion referendum, pointless divorce referendum. They would talk about anything but the essential truth of what they were doing. Of course the clowns came to power on the back of the national debt and went ahead and doubled it !! Fitzgerald wouldnt know integrity if it jumped up and hit him in the puss !
    I agree fully with your criticisms of Fitzgerald's handling of the economy. Personally, I don't think he lacks integrity. I think he is just a bad economist with a bunch of discredited and inappropriate Keynesian ideas and an enormously inflated view of his own ability.

What he can't see is that our current travails have diddly squat got to do with the misdeeds of rogues like Haughey, Lowry, Burke et al. It has a lot to do with our eurozone membership - a policy he fulsomely advocated.

So will the FGers on this site who abused him a couple of months ago now love him and will Leo think he is great.

Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    Oh, when Cowen came to power he laid it on the line about the economy. He made it clear tough times were ahead including at least a 12% drop in living standards. Cowen and FF have never shied away from the word deflation
    You seen to think that Cowen wasn't in power when he was Minister for Finance.
    Vive le Québec libre ! Ag beathú na dtochardán ón mbliain 2007.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    I thought of that bit too. That dewy eyed selfless old revolutionary, Dev! chuckle.

But the almost explicit endorsement of Fintan O'Toole's view that the RCC gave us sexual morality instead of ethics is relatively new, as far as I know from him (and entirely correct, imo).

It will, no doubt, be entirely ignored.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conservative green View Post
    I agree fully with your criticisms of Fitzgerald's handling of the economy. Personally, I don't think he lacks integrity. I think he is just a bad economist with a bunch of discredited and inappropriate Keynesian ideas and an enormously inflated view of his own ability.
    What FitzG did in govt was Keynesian?

Are you referring to the imposition of VAT on children's shoes, or to something else?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast