Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Basketball on forecourts in Dublin's inner city

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Basketball on forecourts in Dublin's inner city

Just heard people complaining on Newstalk's "Global Village" about the lack of sports facilities in inner city Dublin areas.While politicians and youth workers talk about talks and plans, promised regenerations of vacant sites are postponed indefinitely. Sports are important for keeping idle youth gainfully occupied,so this lack is a serious social problem.

A very cheap stopgap could help:basketball games played on both existing forecourts of high rise buildings and on concreted vacant sites.As for costs,an internet ad for a junior basketball stand quoted a price of only 80 and no sports gear is required as kids already wear trainers and could play in street clothes. This type of basketball is popular in US inner cities as shown in the movies. Basketball anyone?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Send them up to Clanna Gael Fontenoy or Synger. Sorted.

Less of your foreign games.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only slightly off topic, I was stunned, yes stunned, to see full length open-aired swimming pools on the rooves of public appartment blocks in Vienna this summer. Not just one or two, but loads of them. Lovely blue swimming pools for the people living in the buildings. Imagine that!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    Only slightly off topic, I was stunned, yes stunned, to see full length open-aired swimming pools on the rooves of public appartment blocks in Vienna this summer. Not just one or two, but loads of them. Lovely blue swimming pools for the people living in the buildings. Imagine that!
    I enjoyed such a rooftop pool abroad,covered in by a largely glass structure. In winter,it was almost like a private pool.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    I enjoyed such a rooftop pool abroad,covered in by a largely glass structure. In winter,it was almost like a private pool.
    Sounds good Pat, open aired heated pools are the business, in summer or in winter.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only on P.ie could one move from no sports facilities for the inner city kids to open air swimming pools on "rooves" in Vienna!

Ever feel like you've wandered into an alternative universe patslatt, when you switch on P.ie?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Only on P.ie could one move from no sports facilities for the inner city kids to open air swimming pools on "rooves" in Vienna!

Ever feel like you've wandered into an alternative universe patslatt, when you switch on P.ie?
    Look Lazarus, 48,000 euro will buy you a 117sqm flat in Vienna, and wait for it, it has a pool on the roof!

http://www.bazar.at/4-zimmer-genosse...n-3395108.html

I think Austria has a lot going for it, efficient and clean country with a strong industrial base yet people friendlier than the Germans, good wine and countryside, only an hour's flight from Croatia, a strong no-nonsense right wing political movement, and now this- swimming pools on the rooves! My kind of place!

You can talk all you want about throwing hoops in some manky Dublin forecourt in oversized shorts and dumbed down attitude-this means nothing to me: I'm saving up 48k and getting the Edelweiss ready! O Vienna!

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    Look Lazarus, 48,000 euro will buy you a 117sqm flat in Vienna, and wait for it, it has a pool on the roof!

Bazar.at | 4 Zimmer Genossenschaftswohnung in 1210 Wien | Immobilien | Wien

I think Austria has a lot going for it, efficient and clean country with a strong industrial base yet people friendlier than the Germans, good wine and countryside, only an hour's flight from Croatia, a strong no-nonsense right wing political movement, and now this- swimming pools on the rooves! My kind of place!

You can talk all you want about throwing hoops in some manky Dublin forecourt in oversized shorts and dumbed down attitude-this means nothing to me: I'm saving up 48k and getting the Edelweiss ready! O Vienna!

Wait for me

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    Just heard people complaining on Newstalk's "Global Village" about the lack of sports facilities in inner city Dublin areas.While politicians and youth workers talk about talks and plans, promised regenerations of vacant sites are postponed indefinitely. Sports are important for keeping idle youth gainfully occupied,so this lack is a serious social problem.

A very cheap stopgap could help:basketball games played on both existing forecourts of high rise buildings and on concreted vacant sites.As for costs,an internet ad for a junior basketball stand quoted a price of only 80 and no sports gear is required as kids already wear trainers and could play in street clothes. This type of basketball is popular in US inner cities as shown in the movies. Basketball anyone?
    No, no, no, it has to be football pitches, we'll be having none of them forrin games here.
    (obligatory grouch rant)

They would be a help, though wider open areas are still needed for recreational use. Heck, I've seen basketball set-ups on flat roofs of high-rise buildings, just a high chain-link fence added to stop kids and the ball from leaving the roof.
    Heck again, I remember handball being played on any area that had a flat wall and a flat ground in front of it years ago but the areas disappeared as commercial/housing ventures took them over.
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.