Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Residency

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default American Residency

How the hell did Drumm manage to get a Green Card at a time when about quarter of a million of our unemployed young people would give their eye teeth for same?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm married to a U.S citizen and my green Card took 10 months and over $3000 in processing fees and medical costs to get. Its not easy that way.

If you are an investor you can apply for residency if you are investing $1million ($250,000 in certain circumstances). And it is resonably quick to come through (approximatley 3 months once the background checks clear)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You need to remember all these things can be arranged if you konw the right people. I had a friend whose father was doing business with big American companies, he was some Tax Consultant or something. Anyway, all six kids got green cards on their 18th birthday-just like that. This was at a time when you could only win them in some kind of 'lottery'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

According to this unquestioning fluss piece, written when he became CEO of Anglo, he spend about six years in Boston for Anglo in the 90's. Probably acquired some sort of permanent status then.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfReason View Post
    According to this unquestioning fluss piece, written when he became CEO of Anglo, he spend about six years in Boston for Anglo in the 90's. Probably acquired some sort of permanent status then.
    That would make sense because in my experience US emigration are particularly strict: I don't think Drumm would have been granted residency had it been known that he is suspected of playing a major role in the 35 billion euro collapse of a bank and that the Irish police were keen to interview him.

What he may have succeeded in doing is buying himself permanent exile. However, like Ronnie Biggs in Brazil, I suspect that some day he'll get a hankering to come home - and then he'll have to face the music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Wept View Post
    How the hell did Drumm manage to get a Green Card at a time when about quarter of a million of our unemployed young people would give their eye teeth for same?
    I would wager the American Chamber of Commerce had soemthing to do with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Drumm in time will regret thumbing his nose at the State

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfReason View Post
    That would qualify him for a Green Card, which is valid for life of the holder. Not sure if it can be revoked by US Gov't.
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If he was on a gc, he should have lost it after being non resident for 2 years - the max length of time a reentry permit is allowed.
    Also, he would have had to file taxes in the US for the duration of having permenant residency, or face consequences.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A green card can be revoked if there was fraud in the course of obtaining it. Otherwise it remains valid unless abandoned.
    I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine and I damn all gentlemen
    Whose only worth is their father's name and the sweat of a workin' man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast