Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Analysis of Elected Reps Interviewed on Late Late Show

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Analysis of Elected Reps Interviewed on Late Late Show

Following on from a number of discussions regarding perceived bias on the Late Late Show in favour of Fianna Fáil I decided to spend an hour trawling the archive of the Late Late Show from September 2008 (the beginning of Kenny's last season) to this week (the beginning of Tubridy's second season). That gives us 2 seasons and a couple of months.

What is clear from the attached spreadsheet is that Fianna Fáil are certainly the most dominant in terms of interview spaces. Their number is almost three times all the other parties put together. What is perhaps most interesting is that I was unable to identify any Labour Representative who was directly interviewed one-on-one on the show.

I kept the analysis to individual interviews, rather than panels, and elected representatives rather than people who might be members, former members or otherwise associated with a party (therefore excludes the likes of Mary McAleese, Cecilia Ahern, Shane Ross). I also excluded parties without Dáil representation - eg People Before Profit and Libertas.

A similar analysis of the Tubridy Show, Saturday Night with Miriam and the Saturday Night Show would also be useful.

There are several threads now open about the Late Late Show on the site so feel free to merge this thread if the mods see fit. However, I do think that this issue is worthy of a distinct thread in its own right, rather than simply being merged into a thread about a particular week's show.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm no statistician but I spot a trend. Well done jf.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That usurper O'Dea seems to have taken Biffo's usual annual early September slot this year................maybe Scrooge Lenihan will make an appearance at the Toy Show to explain the "strike" at Santa's toy factory which will result in a lot less cheer this Xmas

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As good a reason as any for FG/Lab to smash RTEFF when they get into power. How the hell can Tubridy-Andrews get away with it ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spotty thinks this chart would be more accurate if it included Ryan Tubridy as the Fianna Fáil representative in residence.

Spotty also notes that there has not been an interview with any of the attractive younger ladies in the Oireachtas. Spotty thinks that the likes of Fidelma Healy-Eames, who is Spotty's fantasy woman, would increase viewership no end.
    Spotty. A pimple on the arse of politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spotty View Post
    Spotty thinks this chart would be more accurate if it included Ryan Tubridy as the Fianna Fáil representative in residence.

Spotty also notes that there has not been an interview with any of the attractive younger ladies in the Oireachtas. Spotty thinks that the likes of Fidelma Healy-Eames, who is Spotty's fantasy woman, would increase viewership no end.
    Spotty has actually quite developed since his/her original appearance here - in a way from which some of our resident FF & even FG labia might learn... i.e. Spotty has become very funny in a not entirely uncharming way.

Keep it up, o Greater Spotted One!

Edit: just...er...spotted your sig. Nice!

(Just trying to speak in terms you may relate to, Spoys)

Shock! Horror! Current affairs programme interviews more Government than Opposition deputies!

I'm sure that this finding is very dissimilar when compared to similar analyses in the rest of the EU and other OECD nations.

It is completely unfair for a broadcaster to give so much preference to a democratically elected government and of course they should give more air time to parties who have done quite well in the polls, though not been elected yet, and even though the government as currently constituted still has two years yet to run in its mandate.

Obviously we are living in Western Europe's equivalent to North Korea.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spotty View Post
    the likes of Fidelma Healy-Eames, who is Spotty's fantasy woman

Too far man, bridge too far! The best trolls are subtle.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán Mac Mathghamhna View Post
    Shock! Horror! Current affairs programme interviews more Government than Opposition deputies!

I'm sure that this finding is very dissimilar when compared to similar analyses in the rest of the EU and other OECD nations.

It is completely unfair for a broadcaster to give so much preference to a democratically elected government and of course they should give more air time to parties who have done quite well in the polls, though not been elected yet, and even though the government as currently constituted still has two years yet to run in its mandate.

On the table above Brian Cowen was the only interviewee from Fianna Fáil who held Government Office at the time of his interview. The rest were backbenchers when interviewed.

Your point is pretty poorly made to be honest. Taking into account the fact that the majority of those interviewed were not actually incumbent Government spokesmen, the second last paragraph of your comment leans towards the notion that RTÉ should in some manner endeavour to ensure that parties get a representation on the Late Late Show somewhat proportionate to their number of seats in the Dáil. That clearly doesn't happen. It has nothing to do with opinion polls, moot point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán Mac Mathghamhna View Post

Eh, shock, horror Chat Show! Not a "current affairs" programme? Or do you believe The Late Late is Questions & Answers reinvented? Western Europes equivalent to North Korea - in media terms sometimes not too far off the mark there, remember Lisbon 2 and the all out media attack against anyone or anything anti-Lisbon? Not quite Juche geneflecting towards Berlin and Brussels but DPRKesque nonetheless.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast