Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Avoiding EU Ban on Light Bulbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Avoiding EU Ban on Light Bulbs

German "heatball" wheeze outwits EU light bulb ban

A German entrepreneur is bypassing a European Union ban on light bulbs of more than 60 watts by marketing his own brand as mini heaters. Skip related content

Siegfried Rotthaeuser and his brother-in-law have come up with a legal way of importing and distributing 75 and 100 watt light bulbs -- by producing them in China, importing them as "small heating devices" and selling them as "heatballs."
    On their website, the two engineers describe the heatballs as "action art" and as "resistance against legislation which is implemented without recourse to democratic and parliamentary processes."
    German "heatball" wheeze outwits EU light bulb ban - Yahoo! News UK

Well someone has found a way to avoid the EU law in this situation. Heat balls anyone?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member Mister_Jinks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I must say that I think that that is rather funny

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Jinks View Post
    I must say that I think that that is rather funny
    Have to agree!
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

I don't need his heatballs - I have a big box of GLS bulbs bought pre ban stashed in my attic. .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris Celtica View Post
    I don't need his heatballs - I have a big box of GLS bulbs bought pre ban stashed in my attic. .
    I'm going to report you to the Euro Police!

Unless you count me in too....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Heatballs all round

I love this story, for so many reasons. Among other things it lays bare the complete rank stupidity of this Warmy Alarimst inspired regulation.

German heatball wheeze outwits EU light bulb ban | Reuters

A German entrepreneur is bypassing a European Union ban on light bulbs of more than 60 watts by marketing his own brand as mini heaters.

Siegfried Rotthaeuser and his brother-in-law have come up with a legal way of importing and distributing 75 and 100 watt light bulbs -- by producing them in China, importing them as "small heating devices" and selling them as "heatballs."
    IPCC (Chapter 14, 14.2.2.2, Working Group 1, The Scientific Basis)
    Third Assessment Report: “long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok I will bite. Why are you against energy efficient lightbulbs other than the deathly light they initially cast? Or is it just a point of principal? Do you drive a leaded petrol car and listen to a gramaphone because the lightbulb is older than both of those.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Ok I will bite. Why are you against energy efficient lightbulbs other than the deathly light they initially cast? Or is it just a point of principal? Do you drive a leaded petrol car and listen to a gramaphone because the lightbulb is older than both of those.
    Because they are not fit for purpose. We have one in our under stairs loo. By the time you are finished your business, they haven't emitted enough light. They are useless hunks of junk for a lot of reasons. Another one is if you arer simply looking for somehting and need light only for a few seconds.

Imposing a ban on incandescent bulbs is green thinking gone mad.

Of course the green agenda is not about logical thinking. Its an ideology which should not be contradicted.

I am all for reducing the amount of fossil fuels used, but not for saving the planet purposes. If that comes with it, great, but peoples lives should not be rendered less valuable because of it. Peoples lives should be enhanced. The ban on the bulb doesn't do that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

/MOD/ Threads merged /MOD/
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Why did you jump to that erroneous conclusion? I am not against "energy efficent lightbulbs". I am against the regulation that (tries) to ban me from using carbon filament bulbs.

Back at you. Why are you against letting people choose the best toool for the job, so to speak?

Also, you show soem Warmy Alarmist tendencies in that you are ignorance of the term "efficiency".

Just for starts, the carbon filament bulbs in my house are 100% efficient in turning the electricity they use into light and heat. What is turned into light allows me to see, what is turned into heat reduces my dependence on gas. Energy is destroyed it is just transformed.

ANd of course there is the definition of "efficient". I want to see a proper comaprison of electricity consumption of equivalent CFL and Filaemtn bulbs in real life situations. That is turned on and off and on and off. CFL data always refers to electricity consumption at optimal working temperatures (i.e. after warming up for about 15-30 minutes).
    IPCC (Chapter 14, 14.2.2.2, Working Group 1, The Scientific Basis)
    Third Assessment Report: “long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.”

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast