Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Labour Councillor apologises for calling West Limerck "arsehole of the county"

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Labour Councillor apologises for calling West Limerck "arsehole of the county"

The Limerick Leader reported this morning that Labour Councillor for Limerick City Gerry McLoughlin said he stood over the sentiment of remarks he made this week calling parts of West Limerick "the arsehole of the county".

They have destroyed the city with the planning, and are no friends of ours. We are not here to serve Newcastle West, or other places in the arsehole of County Limerick
    Cllr McLoughlin made the remarks during a council meeting on the proposals to merge Limerick county and city councils. Cllr McLoughlin referred to the county councillors as "country bumpkins" who have no regard for Limerick City.

However in a sensational back-down, the Labour TD for Limerick East Jan O'Sullivan has issued an statement of apology from Councillor McLoughlin for the remarks.

Friday, 15 October 2010
    Statement by Cllr Gerry McLoughlin

It would appear that remarks I made in relation to the boundary extension may have given offence to those living in County Limerick, and in particular to elected members of Limerick County Council.

Having read reports published in local newspapers of the remarks made by me, I can understand that they would cause offence and I unreservedly apologise and withdraw the offending remarks.

In mitigation I wish to state that the sheer frustration of waiting for funding for a variety of worthwhile and badly needed projects that would have a significant effect on the lives of the hard pressed community that I represent was responsible for my uncalled for and hurtful remarks.

I unfortunately allowed my passionate belief that a boundary extension would improve the quality of life of the people I represent, to make me say things in the heat of the moment.

I have many friends in County Limerick and I have always had good relations with members of Limerick County Council including my party colleagues, Cllr’s Tomas Hannon and James Heffernan and I hope they will not let my remarks change that.

It was not my intention to give offence and I hope this clarification will be accepted in the good faith in which it was made and I hope that we can proceed to do the best we can for the citizens we represent in both city and county.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spotty is quite sure that the Cllr's remarks are a fairly accurate representation of Labour attitudes to Rural Ireland.
    Spotty. A pimple on the arse of politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And fiannafails attitude to the whole of Ireland except for a few of their pals!

kinda ironic a limerick city councilor calling anywhere else an arsehole

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reflects the Left's snobbery towards rural-Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought Willie O'Dea was the arsehole of Limerick.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool

That's the thing about arseholes. They're like opinions. Everyone has one. Even the best looking woman in Nobber.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

His comments were certainly inappropriate, but he may be right about rural councillors bias against urban dwellers. I remember a few years back there was ferocious trouble because Clare county council refused to use money it received through taxes etc where Limerick city had sprawled into the county, and preferred to use it on general rural development, despite the fact the surbarbs emanating from this sprawl were in genuine need of development themselves. There is a lot of antagonism it seems between rural and urban councils.

Politics.ie Member Reality bites's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Cochrane View Post
    However in a sensational back-down
    Sensational? really...
    'I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts' -Mark Twain

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Limerick Labour must have been pleased with the latest boundary commission report which banished 10,500 of the hicks into Kerry North.
    However, I’m sure Arthur J Springs handlers do not appreciate the honesty of his Limerick Comrade.

Last edited by Craiced; 18th October 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast