Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Get Rid Of The Seanad - We Don't Need or Want It !

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Get Rid Of The Seanad - We Don't Need or Want It !

While I've been unable to sleep worrying how I'll pay my mortgage following the paycuts, I've watched Oireachtas report fairly regularly in the late hours.

If ever there has been a waste of taxpayers money, then it is the Seanad. An institution that pays thousand, if not millions of Euro in expenses to these people, without ever having to put themselves before the general electorate for consideration.

This is an institution set up to support would be/ failed politicians, which is carved up nicely between all the major parties. The Universities have confined elections to appoint senators from their own campus.

Take Senator Shane Ross for example. As we know, he has made his reputation as a daring exposer of waste in the public services.

If you take that most of his revelations of abuse are made through his newspaper and broadcasting outlets, as well his regular books, all of which we pay him handsomely for, why does he then need to be paid thousands of euro every year from the taxpayer to sit in the Seanad doing what exactly ?

The same goes for the rest of them.

If you argue that the Seanad is needed in the public interest, why then are Senators not elected by the General Public.

If the Seanad is supposed to represent the people, what is the Dail there for ?

If the Seanad is supposed to represent the people, why for instance are there no representatives from the unemployed, who make up a far bigger portion of our people, than these privelaged few who take our money without our permission.

The conclusion I have arrived at is that while I'm sure many of those in the Seanad are fine people, they are an expensive drain on our scarce funds.

As once said by the Monty Python ' What has the Seanad ever done for us ?

Very little for the money pumped into it. Put another chapter in your 'Wasters' book Shane, The Seanad.

Get rid of it now.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's the Seanad, the Presidency, the Defence Forces slated for demolition according to some people. Tricky venture this independence thingy, isn't it ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    That's the Seanad, the Presidency, the Defence Forces slated for demolition according to some people. Tricky venture this independence thingy, isn't it ?
    Maybe that Red Sox guy will buy the ROI next ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The function of the Seanad should be as follows:

While the main house (dail) is devoted to the representation of interest, through people duly elected to represent such interests... the Seanad is supposed to be devoted to the representation of opinion directed towards the broader public good outside of individual or sectional interests. This calls for the realisation that opinion and interest are entirely different political phenomena.

Really, what we need is to come up with a system whereby our most educated, most experienced, and most civic minded, are appointed to our Seanad.

It is a wrong idea for them to be elected, either by political parties or by citizens, because the role of the seanad is to remove the representation of interest from the debate that goes on there.

Yes, in the dail, it is all about representation of interest. This is how it ought to be.

It was Thomas Jefferson who conceived of the need for the Seanad – because he saw how in history, representative democracy often became just as tyrannous as any dictatorship. Perhaps, even worse... The Seanad was designed to protect ourselves from ourselves (and our gombeen representatives no doubt).
    “Words are animals, alive with a will of their own”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spotty is doing some mathematics.

Let us say that we borrow 20 billion in 2010.

That works out at (Spotty hopes!!) €38,000 or so per minute.

Let us assume that running the Seanad - salaries, expenses, and all of that lark, costs us a generous 4 million a year.

By Spotty's calculations, abolishing the Seanad for 1 year would keep us going until about 10 o'clock tonight.

Spotty would happily give up his crush on Senator Fidelma Healy-Eames if he thought it would help the country, but for the sake of two hours, Spotty thinks ye can all feck off.
    Spotty. A pimple on the arse of politics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't get me wrong though. I object just as much as the OP to such odious and conflicted Fianna Fail fu<k puppetry in the Seanad as Donie Cassidy and all of the auctioneers and farmers - who are not just selected out of the worst and dumbest of our citizens, but to boot have massive conflicts of interest on account of their land and property interests. For that matter, nearly as bad are the straight edge gang Fine Gael muppets, with their naive and irrelevant speeches. But the whole system needs reform, not just the Seanad.
    “Words are animals, alive with a will of their own”.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone that could watch Donie Cassidy for 10 minutes could only come to one conclusion, that is the removal of the Seanad. Lets hope Kenny lives up to his promises.When I looked yesterday they were gone before 2 O clock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you cant vote for the Seanad - ergo you cannot abolish it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will go to a referendum, who in the name of God would vote to retain it. A money spinner for a bunch of failures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Our office of presidency has to be looked at.
    We need political reform, seven years is far too long, it should be reduced to four of five years.
    350,000 euro is also far too much, when you look at Obama, having to make decisions on Iraq and Iran and Afghanitan, issues relating to putting trillions of dollars into the U.S bailout, being a member of G8, and trying to get a universal health bill introduced and he gets paid less than our president.
    Does our president really deserve 350,000 for signing legislation, and shaking hands with rugby players and footballers.
    I know this should be in a seperate thread under president of Ireland, but I can't seem to create a thread.
    Finally we should not have our diminished presidency role, diminished further, by not having an election, after a term is finished, we basically wrote Mary Mcaleese a cheque for about 2.5 million for a ceremonial bloody role

TD'S have to be also looked at, I heard another one of Cowens footsoliders on the radio, saying people think reducing the number of TD'S will help recover the economy, to his arrogance I would love to put it to him, do it in the policy of political reform.

Australia has five times our population, and has 16 less deputies.

On the case of senators, if we can do with out them, well lets give them all their P45'S
    The Sennad should not be a retiring home, or a home for failed TD'S that can't get elected.
    WE NEED RADICAL POLITICAL REFORM.

Rant over.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast