Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dublin Mayor

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dublin Mayor

The Local Government (Mayor and Regional Authority of Dublin) Bill 2010 hs just been published.

Have started to read and will publish comments as soon as possible.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Oh no. I hope it gets scrapped.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher2 View Post
    Oh no. I hope it gets scrapped.
    Right on, bringing in progressive modern legislation may drag us into a transparent world where duplication, waste and cronyism would be outlawed. Wouldn’t want that now, would we?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

About damn time, Pity the Mayor won;t be able to undo the damage done to the city in the last 20 years
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alonso View Post
    About damn time, Pity the Mayor won;t be able to undo the damage done to the city in the last 20 years
    Dream on, sucker!

You can rest assured that the Greater Dublin electorate will ensure that some expensively promoted party hack or high-profile bozo will become the Mayor and SNAFU will continue.

(Remember - this is Ireland that we're discussing - so the normal laws of logic don't apply.)
    Founded in 2003, Politics.ie has one of the most engaged, respected and influential politics and current affairs communities.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
    Right on, bringing in progressive modern legislation may drag us into a transparent world where duplication, waste and cronyism would be outlawed. Wouldn’t want that now, would we?
    You think thats going to happen?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Dream on, sucker!

You can rest assured that the Greater Dublin electorate will ensure that some expensively promoted party hack or high-profile bozo will become the Mayor and SNAFU will continue.

(Remember - this is Ireland that we're discussing - so the normal laws of logic don't apply.)
    About time someone with some sense chipped in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alonso View Post
    I'll be surprised if the Mayor is able to do anything really.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

“Publication of Draft Bill on Mayor of Dublin – Welcome even if contents are disappointing”
    Statement by Councillor Dermot Lacey
    15th October 2010
    The publication of the Draft Legislation on proposals for a Dublin Mayor and a restructured Dublin Regional Authority by the Minister for the Environment and Local Government represent a welcome step forward in this debate. However there remains key questions that have to be answered.
    Despite the fact that they remain just proposals, there is a real need now to move the debate forward beyond the issue of expenses, the Mansion House and all of what we might call “the fripperies” accompanying the present post of Lord Mayor. I have already called for the proposed salary to be at least halved.
    I have campaigned for the creation of this post now for many years. With the publication of the Draft Legislation I call on any of those considering contesting for this position to debate the issues facing our County. Let us all play a part in shaping the legislation as well as seeking to implement it.
    There is now recognition that our current system of Local Government requires renewal and reform. The pity is that the debate did not occur prior to the Local Elections. Let us not make the same mistake again and proceed now with real reforms and real proposals.
    While the detail of any reform is extensive, the essentials are not. If it is to be in any way meaningful reform must include:
    • An Independent source of funding for Local Authorities and not subject to the whims of the Department of the Environment.
    • Reform of the City and County Managers Act creating a new post of Chief Executive Officer – accountable to the relevant Local Authority and recruited by the Public Appointments Commission.
    • A directly elected Mayor of Dublin with a five year term and accountable to an enhanced Dublin Regional Authority.
    • Extending the role of the Dublin Regional Authority to include Transport and Planning and subsuming bodies such as the Dublin Transport Authority and the Affordable Housing Partnership.
    • Real controls and limitations on electoral spending at local elections and an ethical framework that is robust and just.
    Local Government is best placed to deliver real reform if let. It is time to stand up for better Local Government and long past time to “Stand up for Dublin”. I am ready to play my part.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cllr View Post
    “Publication of Draft Bill on Mayor of Dublin – Welcome even if contents are disappointing”
    Statement by Councillor Dermot Lacey
    15th October 2010
    The publication of the Draft Legislation on proposals for a Dublin Mayor and a restructured Dublin Regional Authority by the Minister for the Environment and Local Government represent a welcome step forward in this debate. However there remains key questions that have to be answered.
    Despite the fact that they remain just proposals, there is a real need now to move the debate forward beyond the issue of expenses, the Mansion House and all of what we might call “the fripperies” accompanying the present post of Lord Mayor. I have already called for the proposed salary to be at least halved.
    I have campaigned for the creation of this post now for many years. With the publication of the Draft Legislation I call on any of those considering contesting for this position to debate the issues facing our County. Let us all play a part in shaping the legislation as well as seeking to implement it.
    There is now recognition that our current system of Local Government requires renewal and reform. The pity is that the debate did not occur prior to the Local Elections. Let us not make the same mistake again and proceed now with real reforms and real proposals.
    While the detail of any reform is extensive, the essentials are not. If it is to be in any way meaningful reform must include:
    • An Independent source of funding for Local Authorities and not subject to the whims of the Department of the Environment.
    • Reform of the City and County Managers Act creating a new post of Chief Executive Officer – accountable to the relevant Local Authority and recruited by the Public Appointments Commission.
    • A directly elected Mayor of Dublin with a five year term and accountable to an enhanced Dublin Regional Authority.
    • Extending the role of the Dublin Regional Authority to include Transport and Planning and subsuming bodies such as the Dublin Transport Authority and the Affordable Housing Partnership.
    • Real controls and limitations on electoral spending at local elections and an ethical framework that is robust and just.
    Local Government is best placed to deliver real reform if let. It is time to stand up for better Local Government and long past time to “Stand up for Dublin”. I am ready to play my part.
    This Mayor thing is so much window dressing and not even very good at that.

For real power to emanate from the people there would have to be an elected Council responsible for spending their money alá US retail spending tax.

One Local Authority for the Greater Dublin Area and four othwers nationally.

Integrated Planning and traffic schemes.

Enhanced role for the NRA
    Creation of a National Water and Drainage Authority.

A voluntary redundancy package.

Rolling back of the ridiculous changes made in BLG.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast