Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a suicide bomber tick?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What makes a suicide bomber tick?

Excuse the pun: it wasn't intended! How has suicide bombing become so commonplace when people are fighting against oppression? Years ago I found it incredulous when I heard someone killing themselves for a cause. I couldn't understand why someone could do such a thing. Why is it so commonplace nowadays and people do it so easily? Is it because there's more injustice and anger, or is it that people who do it are brainwashed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manna View Post
    Excuse the pun: it wasn't intended! How has suicide bombing become so commonplace when people are fighting against oppression? Years ago I found it incredulous when I heard someone killing themselves for a cause. I couldn't understand why someone could do such a thing. Why is it so commonplace nowadays and people do it so easily? Is it because there's more injustice and anger, or is it that people who do it are brainwashed?
    All the best pun's are not intended.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Presumably the timer on the bomb.

(I'll get me coat.)
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You find someone who is easily led and not to bright and over a period convince them that the killing of your perceived ememies by your own sacrifice is the only route to true freedom for your people. Complete crap but they always seem to be able to find those who can be brainwashed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Years ago I found it incredulous ........

But since then you have learned to speak English. Or have you ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    You find someone who is easily led and not to bright and over a period convince them that the killing of your perceived ememies by your own sacrifice is the only route to true freedom for your people. Complete crap but they always seem to be able to find those who can be brainwashed.
    Easter 1916 ?

Suicide bombing decreases hi-tech, manpower and industrial muscle advantage. The Japanese worked that one out in WWII. All the nukes and Cruise missiles in the world are helpless against somebody prepared to sacrifice their own life with a bomb. If Stauffenberg had been a suicide Bomber Hitler would have died.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Easter 1916 ?

Suicide bombing decreases hi-tech, manpower and industrial muscle advantage. The Japanese worked that one out in WWII. All the nukes and Cruise missiles in the world are helpless against somebody prepared to sacrifice their own life with a bomb. If Stauffenberg had been a suicide Bomber Hitler would have died.

THat last bit is of course true.....but the rest is nonsense. AH would not have been expecting a suicide bomber......but now they are expected everywhere.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trampas View Post
    But since then you have learned to speak English. Or have you ?
    Enlighten me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Enlighten me.
    I think you mean "incredible".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your being pedantic in your own little world. My word is my word of choice and your word is incredible. Give me a little bit of what your smoking: I could do with some. Just because it sounds right in your head doesn't mean it is right, don't you think? Think I'll kill myself now for choosing the wrong word which all along was in your head. What do you think makes suicide bombers' tick?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast