Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FF led Oireachtas Committee reject Ombudsmans findings.Slap in face for O Reilly?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FF led Oireachtas Committee reject Ombudsmans findings.Slap in face for O Reilly?

think this is worthy of it's own thread:

The Oireachtas Agriculture Committee has voted to reject the findings of the Ombudsman investigation into the controversial Lost at Sea scheme... The recommendation was rejected by a margin of for nine votes to six.
    All the Fianna Fáil members of the Committee, including Eamonn Scanlon and Mattie McGrath, who are outside the parliamentary party at present, voted against it.
    Oireachtas rejects Lost at Sea findings - RT News

A Labour rep has call it "an attack on the office of the Ombudsman."

Will this go further? It can only be seen a huge insult to Emily O'Reilly's work - will she resign as Ombudsman? Could this be one of those things that brings down a government?
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

she has no option but to resign, FF in complete control of everything in this country

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by culmore View Post
    she has no option but to resign, FF in complete control of everything in this country

It does seem like it - "fupp right or wrong, we're in charge".
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fianna Fail just sink lower and lower.

I hope O'Reilly resigns and goes out kicking, shouting and screaming.

FF are a disgrace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The entire process seems ridiculously framed. When a report is examined by a company they don't break off into their little factions and then announce the results by a block. If you sit on the board you should be able to divest yourself from your party politics and examine the evidence independently. By handling it like this on both sides and speaking about "what your party thinks" and voting accordingly renders the entire thing pointless.

Ms O'Reilly should resign and FG/Lab should scramble to sign her up. She's exactly what the Dail needs.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    think this is worthy of it's own thread:

Oireachtas rejects Lost at Sea findings - RT News

A Labour rep has call it "an attack on the office of the Ombudsman."

Will this go further? It can only be seen a huge insult to Emily O'Reilly's work - will she resign as Ombudsman? Could this be one of those things that brings down a government?
    FF like to set up quangos,but they never listen to them when it suits them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We really, really need more independence of the legislature from the executive. FG and Labour are going to behave almost as badly when they are in power (I don't believe they have ever behaved as badly as Fianna Fáil).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
    We really, really need more independence of the legislature from the executive. FG and Labour are going to behave almost as badly when they are in power (I don't believe they have ever behaved as badly as Fianna Fáil).
    Fine Gael is committed to ensure greater legislative independence from executive control in its 'New Politics' document endorsed by the party.

http://www.finegael.org/upload/NewPolitics.pdf
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

boo-boo

Default Ombudsman

I have to disagree, I feel Ms. O'Reilly should stay exactly where she is!

If she resign's, some crony with FF allegiances will be appointed to be a yes sir no sir person. Particularly in this current environment, we need an Ombudsman who people will feel will independently investigate any complaint that is received in her office. And rest assure there is only going to be an increase in complaints against public bodies involving cases of possible shortcomings in services or poor standards of public administration.

More importantly, we need an Ombudsman who in her analysis of public services, policy and practice is not actually afraid to draw conclusions...and yes, the Men in White Suit Officials generally dont like Ombudsman decisions that will end up costing the Government money....they'll do the usual huffing and puffing....they'll come up with umpteen reasons to try to explain their stance....and tbh you'd be surprised with half the stuff that's going on and what some of these Official's try to pan off to explain their stance or reasoning...

We need an ombudsman who is prepared to and will stand-up for the ordinary person....

I often do think that the Ombudsman should have a quasi-judicial remit....with strict power's of enforcement....
    Last edited by boo-boo; 14th October 2010 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    Fine Gael is committed to ensure greater legislative independence from executive control in its 'New Politics' document endorsed by the party.

http://www.finegael.org/upload/NewPolitics.pdf
    Neat. I never actually read that document. I think the reducing of TD numbers will not help increase independence of legislature or quality of ministers. But I think the other ideas sound good, on the assumption that the Oireachtas is always going to comprise mediocre people on average, because it strengthens other, better civic institutions.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast