Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ministerial cars have cost €11m in last 2yrs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ministerial cars have cost €11m in last 2yrs

Time for some car pooling option, the budget better be hitting this and the salaries/expenses etc !

Ministerial cars have cost €11m - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 14, 2010

Almost €11 million has been spent on providing ministerial cars and drivers over the past two years, according to new figures.

Details regarding State expenditure on ministerial cars were provided by Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern in response to a parliamentary question from Fine Gael's transport spokesman Simon Coveney.

He described the figures as "unjustified and unsustainable" in the current economic climate and said a future Fine Gael government would cut expenditure on ministerial cars by half and introduce a car pooling system.

The bill for ministerial cars since 2008 is estimated at €10.9 million and covers provision of 27 vehicles and 54 drivers.

Mr Coveney said that it was time that "Mercs and Ministers" were no longer automatically associated and vowed to ensure that Garda drivers would only be provided to the Taoiseach and the Minister for Justice under a Fine Gael government.

Mr Coveney also said steps would be taken to encourage Ministers to take public transport or make use of their own personal vehicles instead of using ministerial cars.

"This sense of entitlement has to end. It is now time to reform the current arrangement which is far too expensive and goes way beyond what is actually required," he said.

“While the savings will not make a dramatic impact on the Exchequer, it will send out a clear message that reform in the public service is starting from the top down," Mr Coveney added.
    Repeal the 8th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael to axe ministerial mercs for ministers and former taoisigh

Fine Gael has announced it will scrap the tradition of ministers, former taoisigh and former presidents having automatic use of state cars:

It will introduce

• car pooling where state cars are available at short notice when needed
    • encourage ministers and ministers of state to take public transport or make use of their own personal car, with the option of recouping mileage.
    • Ensure garda drivers are only provided to An Taoiseach, the Minister for Justice and in other circumstances where a requirement is determined;
    • Slash the current €11m spent on ministerial transport every two years.

http://www.finegael.ie/news/a/4135/article/
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Time for these people to return to Planet Earth. Re-entry may be painful for Ministerial bottoms.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only in Ireland. LOL. Christ, the people in Ireland are very special to be allowing this kind of stuff to go on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you know the way you hear comments from clowen "it is not consitutional" on various reasons for not making amendments to judges salaries and other elite cuts etc. I am sure the likes of taking the cars of the boys, cutting their salaries by at least 30% and vouched and expenses limits can be done at a stroke of a pen or am I stupid ?
    Repeal the 8th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Surely Tommy's thread is completely diffferent then the cost of state cars.

One represents expenses and another represents a party's policy.

Nice idea by FG.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Good move by Coveney, these sort of things are easy gets for the opposition. Of course it would be nice if they went for reforming the expenses system, but baby steps.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Vincent Browne's claim to O'Cuiv last week that the cars were costing 200k was correct then

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Window dressing. It's a drop in the ocean. This is populist politicking, and while it's correct that it's not a good state of affairs, I want to live in a country where being a top level public servant is an excellently rewarded job that people should aspire to, not some glorified administrative function where payscales are benchmarked.

But we shouldn't have a position where we have 27 ministers. That's nuts. Maybe ten. Coveney's suggestion of just taoiseach and MOJ is nuts. The Minister for Foreign Affairs arrives to greet a visiting foreign dignitary driving up in a 2008 Ford Mondeo? Give me a break. I want my personal tax euros to pay for that minister's driver. Ministers on public transport? Stupid.

There is a problem with a "sense of entitlement" in certain circles, and probably in some areas of public life. But guess what? Ministers are titled!!! Which means that they are en-titled...and that, in my experience, leads to a sense of entitlement. Which is OK.

But 27 is too many.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Window dressing. It's a drop in the ocean. This is populist politicking, and while it's correct that it's not a good state of affairs, I want to live in a country where being a top level public servant is an excellently rewarded job that people should aspire to, not some glorified administrative function where payscales are benchmarked.

But we shouldn't have a position where we have 27 ministers. That's nuts. Maybe ten. Coveney's suggestion of just taoiseach and MOJ is nuts. The Minister for Foreign Affairs arrives to greet a visiting foreign dignitary driving up in a 2008 Ford Mondeo? Give me a break. I want my personal tax euros to pay for that minister's driver. Ministers on public transport? Stupid.

There is a problem with a "sense of entitlement" in certain circles, and probably in some areas of public life. But guess what? Ministers are titled!!! Which means that they are en-titled...and that, in my experience, leads to a sense of entitlement. Which is OK.

But 27 is too many.
    Say they have 5 cars with part time drivers or even better hire a car if there is a visiting dignitary but there is absolutely no sense in having 2 full time drivers for someone who works less than 20 hours a week

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast