Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next Sarah Palin? South Dakota's Kristi Noem

Default The Next Sarah Palin? South Dakota's Kristi Noem

The Next Sarah Palin? Meet South Dakota’s Kristi Noem | The Blaze

She is a gun-toting, elk-hunting, dark-haired conservative. Some might say she even has a hint of a you-betcha twang to her voice. Sound familiar?

“She” is U.S. House candidate Kristi Noem (pronounced “gnome”) from South Dakota, “a rancher, a mother of three, and a staunch conservative who is running on a platform of slashing federal spending and repealing the new federal health care law,” as ABC puts it in a recent profile. But while many will draw comparisons to her and Sarah Palin, she’s out to prove she is her own person, and hopes a win in November will solidify her own legacy.
    Polling data from RCP

RealClearPolitics - Election 2010 - South Dakota At-Large - Noem vs. Herseth Sandlin

What's interesting about this race is that the incumbent Democrat is against Obamacare and is running ads supporting fiscal conservatism. In other words , a "bluedog" Democrat. Should be an interesting race to keep an eye on.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OMG. Another vaguely young, vaguely attractive female candidate.

Idiot politics for airheads! Truly.

Democracy had better watch out if campaigning is going to be reduced entirely to trivial showbiz and advertising values.

Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Democracy had better watch out if campaigning is going to be reduced entirely to trivial showbiz and advertising values.
    I take it that you are a world expert in South Dakotan politics.

Thank you for your valued contribution.

Much obliged.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johntrenchard View Post
    I take it that you are a world expert in South Dakotan politics.

Thank you for your valued contribution.

Much obliged.
    My pleasure.

Now for folks who are actually interested in American politics, lets move to the DEMOCRAT candidates site

Here's the issues she's campaigning on:
    http://stephanieforsouthdakota.org/p.../issue/public/

She even admits she's part of the Blue Dogs.

If the Tea Party revolt is as big as conservative talk show hosts are saying , then she will more than likely lose on election night. BUT if she holds, then that could mark a turn in Democrat fortunes and the Tea Party could turn out to be a damp squib.

Definitely a race to keep an eye on.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post

I didn't realise that one had to be old , ugly and male to have a valid political opinion.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johntrenchard View Post
    Now for folks who are actually interested in American politics, lets move to the DEMOCRAT candidates site

Here's the issues she's campaigning on:
    http://stephanieforsouthdakota.org/p.../issue/public/

She even admits she's part of the Blue Dogs.

If the Tea Party revolt is as big as conservative talk show hosts are saying , then she will more than likely lose on election night. BUT if she holds, then that could mark a turn in Democrat fortunes and the Tea Party could turn out to be a damp squib.

Definitely a race to keep an eye on.
    I'm sure you take US politics seriously. I don't follow it on a daily basis. However, I would be of the view that Palin was pandering to the very lowest levels of political literacy. I see these latest clutch of candidates (O'Donnell and Noem) as a continuation of that trend.

I always liked the phrase (I forget the attribution. Hardly PJ O'Rourke), "politics is is showbiz for ugly people". Well I see the likes of Palin as politics for people who want showbiz. It may be a reflection of what certain people in the US need. But it seems to be a negative and divisive political development.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Odyessus View Post
    I didn't realise that one had to be old , ugly and male to have a valid political opinion.
    It's actually the norm. But why have to go to the opposite extreme.

Trenchard,I've never been in South Dakota, I don't suppose many people in the entire world have ,or want to.I have been close enough,Nebraska,Wyoming etc,and I could not give one rattling ****************************** which loony they elect.I wandered all around the old USA in the 70s and ,if Ireland had a bomb,I'd point it west.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dónal na geallaí View Post
    Trenchard,I've never been in South Dakota, I don't suppose many people in the entire world have ,or want to.I have been close enough,Nebraska,Wyoming etc,and I could not give one rattling ****************************** which loony they elect.I wandered all around the old USA in the 70s and ,if Ireland had a bomb,I'd point it west.
    Now now, South Dakota is a nice place, home to Mt Rushmore, the badlands and of course the Corn Palace. It is a huge state and very sparsely populated. The congressional district is a "district at large" meaning that the entire state has only one US rep, giving the rep in theory as much clout and prestige in the state as the two US senators.

It definitely sounds like an interesting race, especially given that there are 2 women duking it out in what is a rural and very agricultural state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast