Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: France approves plan to strip foreign-born criminals of French nationality

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default France approves plan to strip foreign-born criminals of French nationality

Members of the lower house of parliament, the National Assembly, passed the measure after a first reading by 294 votes to 239..

The law would strip French nationality from foreigners who had acquired citizenship and who were convicted of violent crimes against police and other officials. This punishment currently applies only to terrorism charges.

It would also allow police to deport foreign nationals, including those from other European Union countries, for repeated acts of

• theft,
    • aggressive begging or
    • for illegally occupying land..

The bill must be examined by a parliamentary commission before it can be voted into law.
    France approves plan to strip foreign-born criminals of French nationality - Telegraph
    Hmm whoever could this law be aimed at? Needless to say this is another one in the eye for the liberals.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Can't see an issue with the revocation of citizenship, not sure how the latter deportation of EU folks would work though.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The ECJ has established a large body of case law concerning the explusion of EU citizens from other member states's. France must apply those legal tests before it can remove an EU citizen.

France might shout down the European Commission, but somehow I think the Court will be so easy.

Politics.ie Member slippy wicket's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well done france, i could think of a few degenerates in this country who could do with the same treatment.

Politics.ie Member Squire Allworthy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pity there wasn't a way of banishing home grown serial and violent criminals. Banishment is a good concept.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great stuff.
    I know a family who had a son killed by a Lithuanian who was driving dangerously.
    The guy smirked in court like it was nothing.
    A trip home after he serves his sentence would suit him just nicely.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This seems like a reasonable measure to take against:

- perpetrators of very serious crimes; and

- concerted and gratuitous acts against public order.

Politics.ie Member slippy wicket's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Allworthy View Post
    Pity there wasn't a way of banishing home grown serial and violent criminals. Banishment is a good concept.
    Banish them to Rockall, a la pinochet.
    Only kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
    Hmm whoever could this law be aimed at? Needless to say this is another one in the eye for the liberals.

In France, Prisons Filled With Muslims - washingtonpost.com

"About 60 to 70 percent of all inmates in the country's prison system are Muslim, according to Muslim leaders, sociologists and researchers, though Muslims make up only about 12 percent of the country's population."

I think it would be fair to say that France has a problem. A BIG problem.

Maybe they're acting now before a civil war breaks out.

Quote Originally Posted by McDave View Post
    This seems like a reasonable measure to take against:

- perpetrators of very serious crimes; and

- concerted and gratuitous acts against public order.
    Correct me if i'm wrong , but doesn't this date back to Roman times? Commit a serious crime - you'd lose your citizenship - which would result in you being "banished" (in modern parlance , "deported")

I see nothing wrong with the French position. If you have immigrated to France and commit crimes against French society, then its only reasonable that you should lose your citizenship , serve your time, and be kicked out of France.

There is nothing unreasonable about that. It's utter common sense.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast