Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Pre budget submissions , are they a waste of time ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pre budget submissions , are they a waste of time ?

I get the impression that they are just a ritual , indulged by both the government and the various lobby groups. I reckon the government knows already just about everything it's going to bring in in the budget but this P.R. exercise is carried out just to keep people happy. Does anyone have any hard evidence of a government having a eureka moment because of these submissions ?

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    I get the impression that they are just a ritual , indulged by both the government and the various lobby groups. I reckon the government knows already just about everything it's going to bring in in the budget but this P.R. exercise is carried out just to keep people happy
    Govt doesn't know everything until a few weeks beforehand (and some things are decided the last week) but yes, your basic point is true, they never really change the contents of the budget. mind you, I've never seen a pre-budget submission that proposed a policy that hadn't already been proposed before, so all the points have already been considered by officials anyway.

90% of them are very poor quality anyway, and I suspect made more for a press release (and for staffers to report to their board on what they were doing) rather than being serious attempts to influence policy anyway.