Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EU wants 70kmh (45mph) speed limit on national primary roads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default EU wants 70kmh (45mph) speed limit on national primary roads.

The ERSC has recommended a 45mph speed limit on national primary roads where no central median or side crash barriers are present.

EUROPE'S top road safety agency warned yesterday that the speed limit on our killer rural roads is too high and should be slashed by a third.

But the proposal is unlikely to be implemented by local authorities as speed limits here were changed and set when the country switched over to metric limits in 2004 -- and such a move now would not enjoy the support of many motorists.

Also, the EU is not in a position to force Ireland to introduce the recommended lower limits to save lives -- because it does not have control over national speed limits.

The general speed limit of 100kmh on main rural roads which do not have dividing crash barriers should be cut to 70kmh or less, an official report recommended yesterday.
    EU wants to slash rural speed limit - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

They want people to crawl around in 4th gear.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The eu wants "a good kick up the hole"!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredger View Post
    The ERSC has recommended a 45mph speed limit on national primary roads where no central median or side crash barriers are present.

Woudln't that really be 3rd gear ?

That would suit the eejits that drive like this already.
    You know the ones that appear to be stuck at same speed and in same gear regardless if supper straight wide road or village street.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmayo View Post
    Woudln't that really be 3rd gear ?
    No, 4th, you couldn't comfortably do 45mph in 5th and you would be over revving in 3rd.

Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

70kmph is definitely not feasible, not on main rural roads anyway. Though maybe it would do for smaller backroads which are in worse condition and see more accidents.

We could do with a lower speed limit, but I don't know how much good it would do; better enforcement is the key really.
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think its a brilliant idea. I worry every day when my sons in their early twenties and late teens go out on the roads. Most roads are not suitable and having speed limits of 100 kph makes no sense whatsoever. How many times have I screamed at my sons as I taught them to drive "Its a fu......c...ing speed limit NOT a speed target!" Bring it on EU. Current speed limits are for lunatics!
    BECAUSE SOME OF US DON'T THINK ABOUT FUTURE GENERATIONS, THEY WILL NEVER FORGET US! https://www.vimeo.com/8668733 'Pipe Down' Corrib gas documentary 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

as usual, the few fook it up for the majority. same with the off license farce. what a sh.ithole of a country. now we have bigger brother dictating to big brother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, 4th, you couldn't comfortably do 45mph in 5th and you would be over revving in 3rd.
    Depends on car I would say.

Shure you could get to that speed with tractor plus full trailor on good straight hill.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.B.A.R View Post
    as usual, the few fook it up for the majority. same with the off license farce. what a sh.ithole of a country. now we have bigger brother dictating to big brother.
    +1, and the thing is the speed limit on these roads could be 30km/h and it wouldn't' make one blind bit of difference. The gardai are, of course, on the
    nice long stretches of safely designed motorway with their speed guns to raise funds for FF, banks, developers etc.. etc.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by junius View Post
    I think its a brilliant idea. I worry every day when my sons in their early twenties and late teens go out on the roads. Most roads are not suitable and having speed limits of 100 kph makes no sense whatsoever. How many times have I screamed at my sons as I taught them to drive "Its a fu......c...ing speed limit NOT a speed target!" Bring it on EU. Current speed limits are for lunatics!
    Rubbish! Kids don't take any notice of speed limits anyway and many of our rural roads are capable of being driven on at higher speeds as long as the driver is experienced.

The EU can go screw themselves!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast